Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

how to enable GRUB2 for large fonts on boot screen?

Started by Nommo, August 20, 2022, 08:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nommo

a specific terminal command string? any risks, downsides?

also, how to set IMMEDIATE EMAIL when Replied to?

pavroo

Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Nommo

thanks for the Notifications pointer.

nothing on grub2?

pavroo

Edit the file:
sudo nano /etc/default/gruband set screen resolution as you like, from:
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480to, for example:
GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480or
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600Then save the file and update grub:
sudo update-grub

Nommo

Thanks. I tried to bring up Terminal but got Konsole instead. I was able to enter the first command, but after that there was no input prompt.Instead there was a bunch of entries saying to delete the comment hash, i.e. make a command, but I couldn't make it work beyond the deletion. It didn't respond to Enter. Is there no plain Terminal on KDE?

nevertheless

Quote from: pavroo on August 21, 2022, 04:51:37 PMCheck the Forum profile-> Notifications

I've been frustrated by notifications too. My own "profile > notifications > Follow topics I create and reply to" was unchecked. Is that the default, or did I do that to myself? (If it's the default, I think that's the wrong default.).

Nommo

mine was unchecked too, until this help led me to check it. I agree, unchecked/off isn't a smart default.  more, yours is not the first Reply I've gotten on the forums, but your reply was the first that generated an email.

pavroo

Konsole is a default terminal emulator for KDE, so you can use it.

Run:
sudo nano /etc/default/grubthen use your keyboard, not mouse, and go to line:
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480use DEL key to delete "#"; the keys of CTRL+o saves the file, then CTRL+x quit the text editor.
Then:
sudo update-grub

nevertheless

Quote from: Nommo on August 23, 2022, 12:04:39 AMmine was unchecked too, until this help led me to check it. I agree, unchecked/off isn't a smart default.  more, yours is not the first Reply I've gotten on the forums, but your reply was the first that generated an email.

Notifications still aren't working for me (after enabling "Follow topics I create and reply to").  That's the only thing I changed. I was thinking there would be a notification on the forum page itself (since I didn't enable email notifications). But, there's nothing.

Maybe the forum community would be more active if it defaulted to notifications (just a visual alert). It's tedious to come back to the forum and manually scan for everything I was interested in. That must be an impediment to participation.

I still wonder if I changed something (turning off notifications) and forgot I did. I hate to be too critical if there's a chance I did it to myself. But, you said you had the same default setting I did. (Apparently there's more that needs to be changed too just to get a forum visual alert, not full email alert).

View the most recent posts on the forum