Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Browsers, Privacy, Compartmentalization

Started by edjog, August 24, 2023, 10:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edjog

Using Firefox, I noticed from Recommended For You, that Ebay knows what I do on Amazon and Amazon knows what I do on Ebay. I'm sure similar surveillance is widespread.

Solution? Use two browsers, one for E, one for A. (As well as using a VPN, taking usual browser tracking precautions etc.)

Extended solution? Compartmentalization. Use many browsers, each for a different task. (Great that Sparky has plenty to choose from in APTUS :)

However, when installing Chromium-based SRWare Iron and Ungoogled Chromium, I found that they both go to Google, despite choosing other search engine. Then after deleting both those, Chromium had Iron links in its menus!

So it appears different Chromium-based browsers share some common things and are not really separate. I imagine same would go for all Gecko-based (Waterfox, Ice Cat, Sea Monkey, Firefox) and Webkit-based (Otter, Falkon, Gnome Web, Dolphin) although I haven't tested these just yet.

My short-term solution is to use Brave (Chromium), Falkon (Webkit), Waterfox (Gecko), Pale Moon (Goanna), Mullvad and NetSurf for different tasks because I think they will stay compartmentalized and not share stuff with other browsers.

However, I don't know this for sure (I am not a programmer and do not understand the nuts and bolts of Linux)

SO MY SUGGESTION IS: keep an eye on what browsers share and aim for compartmentalization to make Sparky great for privacy.

Thanks for reading, sorry it became so long.

View the most recent posts on the forum