Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

System Hangs on mkfs of Advanced Installer GUI

Started by gammazxray, June 11, 2022, 02:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gammazxray

Is there a way to tell the Advanced installer to NOT format but skip to try and get past these problems?

SolvedLooks like overheating on mPCIe SATA in CARRIER inside laptop bay.

History:
I have  HP xe4400 1gb ram 32 gb ssd mSATA
this is an i686 download of sparky on a USB created with uNetbootin
USING PLOP TO BOOT USB
having to start in failsafe

I am told I needed more than 1gb free ram to install... so I chose Advanced Installer and got further.

Now checking my memory with Clonezilla memtest86+...

No memory errors and tested laptop as PAE which is the opposite of what I thought.

Attempted to partition 16GB / 10GB for /home and 4GB swap

Gparted would hang on 1. formatting sda2 2. starting from scratch (long boot) then hung in the middle of mkfs sda1

after formatting with Xubuntu GPARTED no problems, now a third time hanging now on sda2 again and trying to reformat.

I want to try skipping format and just start installing after that.

Caveat: Now my laptop has no battery but I am using an 85watt PS to try and avoid drops in current which can hang a computer.

sparky-install on CLI ended with sophisicated error message with key identifier of sector on SSD #34521088

so now switching to ANOTHER NEW 32GB mSATA in IDE adapter 44pin

WHICH HAS NO EFFECT SIMILAR ERRORS...GOING BACK TO HARD DRIVE FOR TESTING.

Probably overheating on mPCIe SATA in CARRIER inside laptop bay.  Using simple HD and have no errors yet.

Will have to get a real PATA.   Evidently mSATA are designed for air gaps around it.

aw

Sparky 6.3 64bit 1core 1gb ram 16gb 12gb /home 4gb swap gparted on advanced install added openbox/seamonkey total ram 465mb/975mb on net hope this gives you some idea.

pavroo

There is your installation log file at:
/var/log/so get and provide it, please.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

View the most recent posts on the forum