Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Absolute Beginner

Started by Peter Linu, May 29, 2022, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Linu

Hiyall,
I have a 2011 netbook N455 that has served me well. Even though it says that it's 64 bit, it has only ever worked satisfactorily with 32 bit OSs. The last OS on there is Mint XFCE. It's not very fast and assuredly will get slower with time.

Which Sparky DE do you recommend? Its intended use is only as an audio player. It will need a pdf reader, a text writer and v-e-r-y occasional use of a simple browser. Mainly for upgrades...and that's it!

AxL

Quote from: Peter Linu on May 29, 2022, 09:49:46 AM[....]
I have a 2011 netbook N455 that has served me well. Even though it says that it's 64 bit, it has only ever worked satisfactorily with 32 bit OSs. The last OS on there is Mint XFCE. It's not very fast and assuredly will get slower with time.

Which Sparky DE do you recommend? Its intended use is only as an audio player. It will need a pdf reader, a text writer and v-e-r-y occasional use of a simple browser. Mainly for upgrades...and that's it!

Personally, in your particular case, I would choose LXQt or MinimalGUI (OpenBox).

As an example, I can tell you that my work netbook, (an AMD with two cores at 1.35Ghz and 4 Gb of RAM). OpenBox consumes about 240 MB just started.
And in general everything works in a really satisfactory way.

Cheers!! 
➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.
➤ Or, point your browser to "manpages.debian.org/<pkg-name>" .... RTFM !!!

klein5366

it is my go to on everything MinimalGUI (OpenBox)

View the most recent posts on the forum