Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

WiFi Connected, No Internet

Started by ChuckEV, April 12, 2022, 02:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckEV

I've been trying to figure this problem out for over a week now. I've read various guides and forums, and still haven't solved the problem. Internet was working fantastic, without any issues until now. Suddenly, poof, internet doesn't work anymore. Every other device works fine. I've restarted the router several times. I can ping my IP, but not the gateway. Can't ping google, or their DNS server IP. When I boot from a live USB, the problem persists. checked rfkill, nothing is blocked. Plugged in ethernet to get internet that way, but had to start searching more forums for how to connect that way. I would take off the back panel and start unplugging and replugging things, but the laptop says it's connected to wifi, so I'm thinking it's not a hardware problem.

fyi, I'm using sparky7 gameover edition.

Help?

ChuckEV

Update, I'm able to connect via a WiFi booster. I ran updates, but am still unable to get a connection when directly connected to the router. And the issue is not that I am out of range, as the connection fails when I'm right next to the router. But using the router via booster is working.

Also note, every now and then my laptop disconnects from wifi for a few seconds and reconnects. This has been an issue for as long as I've ran this OS, but I forgot about it until now, not sure if that may be related to the issue.

pavroo

Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

ChuckEV

Sorry for the late reply.

I did the bash commands from your post, but then I had a resolv.conf.copy file and no resolv.conf file. That caused no connection at all, so I reverted the resolv.conf.copy back to resolv.conf.

Was the network manager supposed to install a new resolv.conf file when I restarted it?

pewex

pewex

Quote from: ChuckEV on April 12, 2022, 09:17:48 AMI'm able to connect via a WiFi booster. I ran updates, but am still unable to get a connection when directly connected to the router.

Maybe you should try with another router first.

Quote from: ChuckEV on April 22, 2022, 03:56:19 AMbut then I had a resolv.conf.copy file and no resolv.conf file. That caused no connection at all, so I reverted the resolv.conf.copy back to resolv.conf.

resolv.conf file that you have in /etc is a file or a symlink?

Quote from: ChuckEV on April 22, 2022, 03:56:19 AMWas the network manager supposed to install a new resolv.conf file when I restarted it?

Maybe try:
sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.copy
then create empty file /etc/resolv.conf yourself (if it's not a symlink)
and next:
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

(I'm newbie too so I'm not sure if I write right)

ChuckEV

okay, so I retried the command
sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.copy
Then made sure I was connected to the actual router before restarting NetworkManager
Then restarted NetworkManager, and still nothing from either booster or main router

So I made a blank /etc/resolv.conf and restarted Network Manager again, still nothing from either connection.
So I reverted the resolv.conf.copy file back to resolv.conf again to regain connectivity via wifi booster, still nothing from main router.

I just learned that the IP in that resolv.conf file is for my main router, and that I can login to it on a browser. I even realized that if I try editing the resolv.conf file to another IP suchas cloudflare dns server, save it, and then restart NetworkManager, it changes the resolv.conf file back to having the IP of the router.

Also, my other laptop that's running Debian 11 has the same resolv.conf file, with the same IP (connecting to the same router). It's able to connect via either router or booster without a problem.

So I'm guessing it's not the resolv.conf file? Although, I don't really know for certain. Is there any other files I should look into to see what's going on?

pewex

Quote from: ChuckEV on April 22, 2022, 03:56:19 AMWas the network manager supposed to install a new resolv.conf file when I restarted it?

At my computer after "deleting" resolv.conf file (sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.copy) and restarting NetworkManager (sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager) a new resolv.conf file is creating and internet connection works fine.
But I have Sparky 6 "Po Tolo".

At wiki of resolv.conf:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolv.conf
there is something that: "In systemd based Linux distributions using systemd-resolved.service, /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf"

Quote from: ChuckEV on April 30, 2022, 08:32:17 AMSo I reverted the resolv.conf.copy file back to resolv.conf again to regain connectivity via wifi booster, still nothing from main router
it's strange that restarting of NetworkManager does not create resolv.conf file.
and why wifi works via booster and don't works directly via router?
that would indicate a problem with a radio signal.

pewex

Maybe this is a problem of router configuration?
Did You check it (after logging in to it)?:
band, channel, channel bandwidth, IP static/dynamic, DHCP config, DNS, WPA.

edit:
..but if another your laptop have connection to internet via this router it seems that its configuration is ok.

View the most recent posts on the forum