Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Network Sharing with LXQT Sparky Linux 7 Orion-Belt

Started by randomscumbag, March 04, 2022, 08:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomscumbag

I have multiple systems in my house, that I am trying to share with Network File Sharing.  I have Mx Linux, Manjaro both KDE, and I have Debian Sid Mate all connected through the network with Select folders that I can send and delete files from all three of those systems. 

I just installed LXQT on a T430 and I am not too familiar with the PCManFM, and figuring out how to share folders on the network.  I can see and connect to my other systems from Sparky, but I cannot figure out how to share folders from Sparky to the rest of my system. 

I just did a fresh install, and updated everything so I am on a fresh system.  Just trying to figure out where to go from here.  I had Sparky installed before, and I could get it to share, downloading Caja File Manager, and Installing and Enabling SSH as I did for my other systems. 

I would like to learn how to use the default File Manager of PCManFM to share on my network.  I couldn't find much about the process of configuring this specific manager. 

And when I share with Nautilus or Caja I can view it from my desktop in dolphin fm, but I cannot send files into Sparky LXQT. I used to use and still do when I need to till I figure things out, I use Filezilla for computer to computer when I need it, but I am trying to not use a 3rd party if I can just use my Operating System to handle file transferring. 

nevertheless

Quote from: randomscumbag on March 04, 2022, 08:16:51 PMI am trying to share with Network File Sharing.  ... I use Filezilla for computer to computer when I need it, but I am trying to not use a 3rd party if I can just use my Operating System to handle file transferring.

It sounds like you're using Samba file sharing? If you just want to use something native to the OS, have you considered NFS file sharing? I've always found Samba difficult. (I think it does more than basic file sharing, so it's more complicated?). If you're open to trying NFS, I can walk you through setting up the server and client config, auto mounting during boot. (I know just enough to make it work.).

I googled about Samba & pcmanfm, and saw this post on the Debian forum. Maybe that's what you need? [EDIT: The URL bbcode is displaying as CODE. See the links below.] Or this Lubuntu how-to.

Another idea: if you're using Sparky LXQt because the computer is older/low-resource, unless it's very low-resource, I bet you wouldn't notice much difference (in terms of resource usage) if you used Sparky Xfce. Sparky's LXQt is 25% lighter, but they're both in the low range. You'd have to have a pretty old/underpowered computer for LXQt to make a noticeable difference (IMO).

The only reason I'm suggesting that idea is that Xfce's been around longer, more mature. LXQt continues to be rough around the edges. I personally find it inhospitable, and only use it on old/low-resource computers (when I absolutely have to). My dislike for it may result from using LXDE for years. LXQt was supposed to be the replacement, but they haven't made it be the same. There's a lot of deliberate differences in functionality/look/feel which weren't an improvement IMO. Maybe I'm just always frustrated/disappointed by that. But, I find Xfce easier to use and not _that much_ heavier. (Some distros' Xfce is heavy. It depends on the distro. But, Sparky isn't that much. MX is heavier. The last time I looked at Manjaro Xfce it was very large. So, my suggestion only applies to Sparky.).

Links:
forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=735115&sid=e5d4e198da33e798075ee2a0cad701b7#p735115
help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/PCManFM

paxmark1

I just ssh in via pcman-qt   And then put it in as a  bookmark. 

example sftp://root@192.168.1.210/blah

I did like nfs a lot back in 2003, much nicer than samba.   nfs should work like a charm still. 

imho LXQT is not that rough around the edges.   I do prefer XFWM4 as my windowmanager in LXQT, it is in the options GUI's.    Personally I do not have anything bad to say about XFCE
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum