Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Love it. But do I need to upgrade?

Started by Peekay, December 30, 2021, 08:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peekay

Hi. I have been running SparkyLinux 4 (Tyche) LXDE on a Core-2 DUO laptop for several years. Super fast, nice GUI, really pleased.

I get system updates all the time so the version that I have appears to be supported, but from the download options here I can see that my version is relatively old. Do I need to (and should I) install the newer version?

I have OpenSUSE on another PC and that just stops receiving updates every year or so and I have to do a full version upgrade from an ISO. What kind of release is Sparky because despite its age mine still gets updates?

Cheers. Peekay.

AxL

Quote from: Peekay on December 30, 2021, 08:09:43 PM
Hi. I have been running SparkyLinux 4 (Tyche) LXDE on a Core-2 DUO laptop for several years. Super fast, nice GUI, really pleased.

I get system updates all the time so the version that I have appears to be supported, but from the download options here I can see that my version is relatively old. Do I need to (and should I) install the newer version?
[....]

The version you are using is:
Sparky 4 "Tyche" is based on the Debian 9 'oldoldstable' "Stretch"

And, it will be supported until next year (June 30, 2022)

See also:
➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.
➤ Or, point your browser to "manpages.debian.org/<pkg-name>" .... RTFM !!!

Peekay

Many thx for the info AxL  :)

My home folder is on a separate partition and I keep a backup of my config folder.

When the time comes to upgrade, will I be able to run an updater program from a downloaded ISO, or does it have to be done using terminal?

Peekay 

AxL

Quote from: Peekay on December 31, 2021, 02:11:07 PM
Many thx for the info AxL  :)

You're welcome !!  Peekay   ;)

Quote from: Peekay on December 31, 2021, 02:11:07 PM
[....]
  When the time comes to upgrade, will I be able to run an updater program from a downloaded ISO, or does it have to be done using terminal?

Please, check this article:

• Sparky 4 transition – SparkyLinux

Quote from: pavroo
    [....]
    If you would like to upgrade Sparky 4 to Sparky 5 – it is possible, but I recommend to make fresh Sparky 5 installation.
    By the way, if you decide to make such upgrade, do:
    1. Change Debian repos from 'stretch' to 'buster' or keep 'stable' at the /etc/apt/sources.list
    2. Temporary change Sparky repos from 'oldstable' to 'stable' at the /etc/apt/sources.d/sparky-oldstable.list if your system uses Sparky 'oldstable' repos already, and refresh package list:
    sudo apt update
    3. Install the latest version of 'sparky5-apt' package which has to remove 'sparky4-apt':
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install sparky-apt sparky5-apt
    4. Then upgrade the system:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    If any problem:
    sudo apt install -f

Let me know if you find any problem with your system upgrade, please.

Cheers !!!  :) 
➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.
➤ Or, point your browser to "manpages.debian.org/<pkg-name>" .... RTFM !!!

View the most recent posts on the forum