Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Installation of Sparky on separate SSD disk

Started by rektal, December 02, 2021, 08:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rektal

My desktop has one SSD disk with Win10 on it. This disk contains a UEFI enabled Windows 10 installation.

I have bought a second SSD M.2 disk. I want to install Sparky 7 on it. I will set Sparky to run first when booting the system. I have few questions about this:

1. If I install Sparky on a second SSD, does nothing get confused with system startup? I do not want to overwrite esp partition on Windows drive.
2. A clean installation of Sparky will format the disk under GPT and uefi?
3. Is it enough to install on the second SSD disk and select Grub installation on it?
4. Should I remove the SSD with Windows before installing Sparky?

I note that I do not want a dualboot. I will select boot order via F8 when starting the computer or I will set the order in the BIOS.

Wilde.Geist

Unless I missed something I can see no problems for you having an installed Sparky on an external SSD and Boot into it via F8 other than how are you connecting your external SSD? If via USB, your performance will depend on what specs are for that connection. I know some of the older Thinkpads had Docks with bays for Hot Swapping Drives either Optical or Data Drives and the dock provided similar specs as the bare metal Drive. If sheer performance is not an issue I am pretty confident your bare metal Windows system will not know anything about your booting from the external Sparky and enjoying real Power if even via USB 1.0 it will go like gang busters. Enjoy.
Ain't NOTHING scarier than a naked Hominini with a sword and a hard on .

View the most recent posts on the forum