Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[Solved] How to download a video ...?

Started by keos, November 10, 2021, 03:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keos

Hello,

Could anyone recommend any tool to download videos from youtube?  :'(
youtube-dl has problems ...  >:( the one I am using now is yt-dlp but sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't  :o and sparky-tube is too slow.

Thanks for any advice.
Quad Core Intel Core i5-8265U Inspiron 3583
Model: 0WHCP7 UEFI: Dell v: 1.5.1   Xfce   MX-21  Sparky7

tuatha-solas

Hello keos :-) I just installed Sparky (Mate) yesterday, and discovered there is media-downloader available ... it is a gui that uses yt-dlp, and is awesome! Just go into synaptic, install and you're good to go. In Configure, bump up the Scale Factor to 2.0 if the UI is a bit small. In media-downloader, you can paste in a link, then click on Options and choose e.g. 480p ... if that isn't available, just choose Default and the video downloads fine. There's also a batch downloader tab, and playlist tab ... haven't tried the latter yet, but, for downloading a few videos at once, just add links one by one, pressing 'add url to list', and then press download. You can choose to show thumbnails also, and where to download videos to.

AxL

Quote from: keos on November 10, 2021, 03:51:25 PM
youtube-dl has problems ...  >:(

youtube-dl, has been without updates for several months. And the main developer has some issues in his life
(and he can't continue with youtube-dl for the moment ....)

Quote from: keos on November 10, 2021, 03:51:25 PM
[...] the one I am using now is yt-dlp but sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't
:o

yt-dlp works perfectly:

Cheers!!   8)

➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.
➤ Or, point your browser to "manpages.debian.org/<pkg-name>" .... RTFM !!!

AxL

➤ Want to know how you can use a program you have never used before? "man" will be your best new friend! Type "man <pkg-name>" in a shell.

keos

I removed the yt-dlp from APTus Center and installed the one from synaptic, now it work fine.
The problems was with the command added for the subtitles.

For me it is very important to have an option for to be able to download subtitles in english and this is something that as far as i know i can get only with youtube-dl or now with yt-dlp.  ;)

I will look into the Manual later,

Thank you and best regards.

EDIT:

This is the only one i can't get it:

keos@keos-inspiron3583:~$ yt-dlp -f 'bv[height=1080][ext=mp4]+ba[ext=m4a]' --embed-subs --merge-output-format mp4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_v3i2k6Psc
[youtube] r_v3i2k6Psc: Downloading webpage
[youtube] r_v3i2k6Psc: Downloading android player API JSON
ERROR: [youtube] r_v3i2k6Psc: Requested format is not available
keos@keos-inspiron3583:~$

AxL

In the particular case of this video, there are NO subtitles available for downloading:
(README.md#subtitle-options)

But you can download it in .mp4 format (720p) without any problem:

keos

You are right ...  :(

Do you know if there is any tool or any website that can edit/create a subtitle to the videos. Thank you.

EDIT:

I was looking at the manual ... I discard it, it is not practical for me, I would lose more time studying and trying to understand it than it takes youtube-dl to download a video with subtitles in a simple way and without complications of so much information as in the case of yt-dlp (I had only repeated before in the terminal the commands that you used for this video, i thought it was all, but when I tried to understand ... I said forget it).

Thank you and best regards.

View the most recent posts on the forum