Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

A Newbie Question

Started by keos, October 21, 2021, 09:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keos

Hi,

I just installed this system, I found it interesting because of how small it is, and I have two others on my PC ... of course I uninstalled most of the games.
I have a question, over time and after many updates, the system will occupy more space in the partition, there will be 'an end'.
What is recommended, to reinstall again (assuming you have backup copy) or to enlarge the partition? - something that in the end will have the same outcome.

A greeting  ;)
Quad Core Intel Core i5-8265U Inspiron 3583
Model: 0WHCP7 UEFI: Dell v: 1.5.1   Xfce   MX-21  Sparky7

yhh3ncn3

Quote from: keos on October 21, 2021, 09:24:25 PM
Hi,

I just installed this system, I found it interesting because of how small it is, and I have two others on my PC ... of course I uninstalled most of the games.
I have a question, over time and after many updates, the system will occupy more space in the partition, there will be 'an end'.
What is recommended, to reinstall again (assuming you have backup copy) or to enlarge the partition? - something that in the end will have the same outcome.

A greeting  ;)

Leave enough room for it from the beginning. After that doing a cleanup of cached packages regularly and you will never run out of space. This is assumed when you don't run out of space of your home dir. If it's your home dir that being filled, you have to move some of your data to other storage media.

keos

I decided to reinstall Sparky, this time on 7.

I will be more attentive now to the system space, maybe it is the Directory that somehow is increasing, without realizing ... although most of the things I have are Chess engines, databases, etc, it is not much.

How can I realize what exactly would increase the size of my directory?

Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention: Wine.

paxmark1

and for looking at space - terminal program  ncdu is quite helpful.   If you are going to be in linux for awhile learning how to set up machines with   lvm    makes resizing partitions much simpler.   man ncdu       man lvm
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

keos

keos@mx:~$ LANG=C man ncdu
No manual entry for ncdu
keos@mx:~$ LANG=C man lvm
No manual entry for lvm
keos@mx:~$

paxmark1

The man for ncdu is on the web to view if you choose to research before installing ncdu.   lvm has tutorials available.   More useful down the road for new systems
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum