Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Recommended Laptops

Started by kd4e, August 03, 2021, 03:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd4e

What laptops have proved SparkyLinux friendly?

Looking for under $400. in the USA.

15.6" display - desktop replacement features.

e.g. HP lists Linux support for their ProBook 650 G2 https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04912074

I'll look at new, manufacturer reconditioned, and user refurbished.

Thanks!

kd4e

Is SparkyLinux not often used on laptops?

Or, does everyone use more expensive laptops?

Is there any reason to anticipate the HP ProBook 650 G2 not working?

Thanks

paxmark1

No NVidia graphics and the mention of support on their website for info on it  for Ubuntu is encouraging.  I am not qualified or willing to comment on the various wifi versions, but the mention of Ubuntu being supported would lend hope, but ...   If you find success stories on web via individuals installing linux onto it,  that would be even more encouraging. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

Revit

If you can stumble across a Dell XPS should be smooth sailing. My 9360 has ran everything I've thrown at it.

kd4e

If one installed Debian Buster or Bullseye could one then install SparkyLinux from there on a HP Chromebook 14?
https://digitaloceancode.com/install-linux-on-hp-chromebook-14-step-by-step/

Or maybe directly install SparkyLinux on it using his instructions?

Thanks

Revit

There have been a lot of success using chromebooks and to use paxmark1's words...encouraging. Due diligence in research for any obstacles/issues with particular hardware compatibility should be given top priority to prevent banging your head off the desk ;D

Another often used laptop is the Thinkpads....

kd4e

I hate to recall the many dollars and days I've wasted trying to force things to work where Linux was deliberately sabotaged in firmware. The same device with a slightly different firmware and ... brick wall.

Now, I'll only buy hardware that I can return if it doesn't work.

I'm looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/HP-Chromebook-Processor-Lightweight-14a-na0021nr/dp/B08YKGZF7P/

I just need to be sure that I can save the factory install, install SparkyLinux, then - if it doesn't work - successfully restore to factory and return.

Revit

Just installed Sparky minimal on the wifes Dell touchscreen Inspiron 5515 Ryzen 7/Radeon. 10 minutes in, but running like a well oiled machine. Haven't looked in the logfiles yet, but everything appears to be fine with 1 minor exception. Screen tearing in Firefox, but that should be a simple fix....

Probably better interfaces for the touchscreen than openbox, but hey, it works!

There is another you can put on your radar.....

kd4e

Quote from: Revit on August 26, 2021, 01:52:03 AM
Just installed Sparky minimal on the wifes Dell touchscreen Inspiron 5515 Ryzen 7/Radeon. 10 minutes in, but running like a well oiled machine. Haven't looked in the logfiles yet, but everything appears to be fine with 1 minor exception. Screen tearing in Firefox, but that should be a simple fix....

Probably better interfaces for the touchscreen than openbox, but hey, it works!

There is another you can put on your radar.....

$800. is a bit too rich for my budget, maybe I can find a good used or refurb for lots less.

Just found them for $546. shipped Refurb with 1yr warranty. Hmmm ...

Revit

The 5515 does have a glitch or 2. I am working through solving suspend when lid is closed. Normal settings thus far haven't worked. Also  have a couple errors in dmesg i need to research what up with those. The xps on the other hand has been issue free for 4 years.

kd4e

The 13.3" 9360 is $799.00 new, $759.00 "reburbished".

The 15.6" 5515 is $546. "refurbished".

Is the 9360 that much better than the 5515?

BTW: I almost never close my laptop without powering it down, so that's not an issue - it's really more of a desktop replacement I can carry now and then.

Do the "... couple errors in dmesg" effect operation or are they just irritating?

Revit

Well, the xps is available with ubuntu from Dell, not in all configurations though. The 9360 was NOT listed as available with ubuntu but all the hardware specs were the same at the time of manufacture. It has a better screen to my eyes, and it has proven itself to be a little workhorse of a laptop. I've been very happy with it. I bet if you keep digging you can find them for 3-400 bucks used. Those used thinkpads can be bought on the cheap too if your patient

The 5515 so far I am really in test mode with it finding out what is happy with. A testament to Sparky...it is the ONLY distro thus far (out of the box) that has been really good on it. Garuda Gnome, i3, and Sway editions fail to activate touchpad scrolling upon booting into live media. Hibernate so far seems to work better than suspend as on suspend the touchpad fails to respond when awaken. I havent really looked into it yet, but have been more booting into live environments seeing what it is happiest with to find a solid starting point. Right now, Sparky is staying on it unless some big magic happens. I intend on trying ubuntu and fedora and that will be about all.

As far as dmesg errors, I havent concerned mysef to much with them yet as the system is very functional and havent noticed any concerning issues.Temps are good at 38C, sound, function keys, brightness controls, wifi etc all work out of the box with Sparky minimal. I'm happy to give more info on it once I get done playing and get down to configuring, but that may be a few days or so.

Revit

Fedora was her selection from the live images tried on the 5515. Have to admit, it is quite nice on Gnome 40 right out of the box so thats what will live on that one. I found no show stoppers on Sparky Openbox with it and would not hesitate to run it as a daily driver if it were mine as I prefer less bleeding edge for my use. Just less to keep up with.

kd4e

The Dell 9360 appears to hold its value well. Even at $299 - $329 they are offered incomplete https://www.ebay.com/itm/114899395449

Partially disassembled, no SSD, no battery, case screws missing, damage to bezel - the Lenovo ThinkPad W520 I'm using is complete - it's just becoming less reliable.

Will keep looking - and sure appreciate the info and updates re. your 5515 tests.

kd4e

Dell XPS 9360 15" 2017 2.5GHz i5-7200U 12GB RAM 256GB SSD - Excellent Condition $449, shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194317298398

Any reason to expect problems with the 15" different than the 13"?

I was going to go with the newer 5515.

It's not a lot better but it's a little bit newer technology.

They're out of stock. Sigh ... waited too long.

View the most recent posts on the forum