Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Which files do I download? And how do I know if it will work?

Started by mrlen, July 30, 2021, 11:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrlen

Short version of what I am asking:

Is there any way I can know what will install on SparkyLinux? Is it anything that ends in .deb?

The elaborative version:

I am used to using (mainly) distros that are branched off Ubuntu. I know that Ubuntu is Debian -- and so is SparkyLinux, but I also know SparkyLinux is not a branch of Ubuntu. It's basically built from vanilla Debian. Did I get that part right?

So in the past, with all these Ubuntu based versions that I've been using, I could just go and get software made for Ubuntu and it would work. Not once did I have a problem, for almost 2 years.

So fast forward to this week, I have found SparkyLinux  (which is AWESOME - and I love it) and I have started to experience some technical difficulties.

So far I have installed most of the stuff I like:

Brave
Signal
Firefix
Gnome System Monitor

..and it works,

But some stuff that I use installs, but when I try to open it, nothing happens. So I think I might have downloaded the wrong version (???).

ie:

SimpleNote:

https://github.com/Automattic/simplenote-electron/releases/tag/v2.15.0
I downloaded: Simplenote-linux-2.15.0-amd64.deb

Any reason why that wouldn't open? It's Debian. I'm on a 64 bit system.

Are there any tricks or tips I need to know before installing stuff to Sparky?

I just want to say once again that I LOVE Sparky. It's absolutely awesome. So I am willing to persist. However, I'm having some problems trying to launch a couple of other apps too.

Another one is called "xfce-notes" (I got it from Synaptic). It won't open.

paxmark1

Sparky rolling or stable? 
SHORT ANSWER   Try the Snap from canonical   Or apt install gconf2 and retry dpkg -i simple.....   

I have no Sparky's at the present, just Debian testing.

Doing a little digging, Simplenote web page does not easily show what it's license is.   Hmm.   That you have to use a git to install is a signal as to how much support you can expect in the Debian universe.   

Going to search engines,   aptitude search electron (in testing) has no valid results.   
aptitude search simpleno
p   python3-simplenote                                                                               - Python API wrapper for the Simplenote web service

For a web seach - wow - some are very techinical.   

I did find your deb via  https://github.com/Automattic/simplenote-electron/releases/tag/v2.15.0
104 MB 2.15.0 deb install  via dpkg. 

Or you can get the snap from Canonical.  That would probably be the easiest   Possibly the .deb from 2.14 might help.  Maybe others have more help.   

EDIT  ADDITION

sudo dpkg -i Simplenote-linux-2.15.0-amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 227524 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack Simplenote-linux-2.15.0-amd64.deb ...
Unpacking simplenote (2.15.0-24413) over (2.15.0-24413) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of simplenote:
simplenote depends on gconf2; however:
  Package gconf2 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package simplenote (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26-1) ...                                                                                                                                                           
Processing triggers for mailcap (3.69) ...                                                                                                                                                                       
Errors were encountered while processing:                                                                                                                                                                         
simplenote                                     

Wikipedia

QuoteGConf was a system used by the GNOME desktop environment for storing configuration settings for the desktop and applications. It is similar to the Windows Registry.

It was deprecated as part of the GNOME 3 transition. Migration to its replacement, GSettings and dconf, is ongoing.[1]

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

mrlen

Thanks heaps paxmark1, truly appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me mate.

Just a question. Snap doesn't seem to be installed. Is that something I need to install first?

..and from your edit -- if I am reading currently, Gmone is a desktop environment? So basically I won't be able to install Simplenote, as we're using XFCE?

paxmark1

Yes , you have to install snap.  Then you have to install the snap called simplenote. And then to run, "snap run simplenote".    Excuse any typos, read any good description of how to use Snap on the web.   
Snap originates from Canonical.    It has a cousin called flatpak - that originates from RedHat.  They help to isolate binaries is a partial sandbox.  It allows for faster availability  of the new versions to people using for example, Debian Stable. 

Your choice of DE (Desktop Enviroment) should not influence the usability of a snap or even most binaries - i.e. should run in XFCE, LXQT, Gnome, KDE, etc.   And SimpleNote is written for use by and communication between Ios, Windoze, Android, Linux and hopefully the BDS's. 

Personally I was aghast at the usage of the ancient, obtuse usage of "hal" - hardware abstraction layers that is long gone anywhere else by Hulu.  (Maybe they have fixed that)

The usage of ancient GTK2 as a dependency via Simplenote is merely puzzling to me. 

From the Debian Wiki page DONTBREAKDEBIAN. 

QuoteFlatpak
Some applications and games are also available in the new Flatpak package format. Flatpaks can be installed locally by non-root users and do not interfere with the Debian package system. Flatpak applications can also run in a sandbox. A flatpak package is available for Debian since stretch. gnome-software can update and install Flatpak apps with the gnome-software-plugin-flatpak package installed. For more information see the FlatpakHowto wiki page.

Snap
Another alternative is the Snappy system developed by Canonical, the company providing support for Ubuntu. Snaps are essentially similar to Flatpaks but currently (2018-10-26) the central snapcraft repository has more applications packaged than Flathub.

Important note: Many users are wary of Snaps. Use at your own discretion. They update on their own schedule, and install files to nonstandard locations. It may not be wise to use a Snap without first understanding the reputation/limitations of Snap.
peace out.

ADDITION:  from another recent thread, things about Flatpak

https://forum.sparkylinux.org/index.php/topic,5819.msg13330/topicseen.html#new
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

mrlen

Quote from: paxmark1 on August 01, 2021, 08:52:56 PM
Yes , you have to install snap.  Then you have to install the snap called simplenote. And then to run, "snap run simplenote".    Excuse any typos, read any good description of how to use Snap on the web.   
Snap originates from Canonical.    It has a cousin called flatpak - that originates from RedHat.  They help to isolate binaries is a partial sandbox.  It allows for faster availability  of the new versions to people using for example, Debian Stable. 

Your choice of DE (Desktop Enviroment) should not influence the usability of a snap or even most binaries - i.e. should run in XFCE, LXQT, Gnome, KDE, etc.   And SimpleNote is written for use by and communication between Ios, Windoze, Android, Linux and hopefully the BDS's. 

Personally I was aghast at the usage of the ancient, obtuse usage of "hal" - hardware abstraction layers that is long gone anywhere else by Hulu.  (Maybe they have fixed that)

The usage of ancient GTK2 as a dependency via Simplenote is merely puzzling to me. 

From the Debian Wiki page DONTBREAKDEBIAN. 

QuoteFlatpak
Some applications and games are also available in the new Flatpak package format. Flatpaks can be installed locally by non-root users and do not interfere with the Debian package system. Flatpak applications can also run in a sandbox. A flatpak package is available for Debian since stretch. gnome-software can update and install Flatpak apps with the gnome-software-plugin-flatpak package installed. For more information see the FlatpakHowto wiki page.

Snap
Another alternative is the Snappy system developed by Canonical, the company providing support for Ubuntu. Snaps are essentially similar to Flatpaks but currently (2018-10-26) the central snapcraft repository has more applications packaged than Flathub.

Important note: Many users are wary of Snaps. Use at your own discretion. They update on their own schedule, and install files to nonstandard locations. It may not be wise to use a Snap without first understanding the reputation/limitations of Snap.
peace out.

ADDITION:  from another recent thread, things about Flatpak

https://forum.sparkylinux.org/index.php/topic,5819.msg13330/topicseen.html#new

okies, no worries. I will have a play around and let you know how I go. Thanks :)

View the most recent posts on the forum