Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

(solved) system upgrade

Started by fadi, May 21, 2021, 08:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fadi

Hello everyone. Is it possible to rewrite the upgrading script so it downloads all the upgrades first and then applies them, rather than installing each downloaded upgrade. I think it is safer this way . I once suffered a power cut, which is often in my country, while upgrading and it left me with broken system. I had to re-install the system again .Thanks. :)

paxmark1

You can do it cli in a terminal. 
Of course if you are in a root terminal you do not need sudo

man apt     doesn't seem to show the -d flag for download only

First you would have to do ((sudo)) apt update)

then in Stable - Sparky5

((sudo))  apt upgrade -d

testing sid   -- Rolling Sparky6
((sudo))    apt full-upgrade -d
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

fadi

Thanks Paxmark1. I will use it, but I still wish you modify the upgrading script. Thanks.

paxmark1

I am just a hobbyist, I never got more than a  C+ ( not even a B minus)  in any computer course in the late 70's.   It is others who would have to change aptus.    I can testify that the -d flag is very very helpful when using Sid-unstable

I forgot to write that after sudo "apt upgrade -d"   that you would need to run "apt upgrade"  to upgrade them all, or in a rough patch of Sid where perl or python or C is going through  a major upgrade you can "cherry pick" your specific upgrades via apt install foo  foo1  foor 2         -  foo being whatever binaries you wish to install. 

peace out
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum