Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[Solved] GUI Default Applications not setting default browser

Started by 8bit, March 22, 2021, 01:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8bit

Set default browser with GUI app. No joy. Logged out/in, no joy
Edited prepend.csv, which I was gunna do anyway.
I could set it with update-alternitives.

8bit

paxmark1

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

8bit

Bullseye - Minimal GUI (Openbox)

Thx. I hope that kind of helps,
8bit

pavroo

After changing the prepend.csv, did you restart Openbox or logged out and loggin back?
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

8bit

Thanks for the reply. The error is independent of jgmenu. When xfce4-settings is installed "after the fact", it doesn't properly integrate itself. The GUI app  Default Applications only appears after installing xgce4-setttings. The error is reproduce-able, fresh install, apt update/full-upgrade, apt install xfec4-settings. apt install firefox.

Default Applactions -  set default web browser to firefox.
Log-out/in
Default Applications and update-alternatives shown:

Thanks,
8bit

8bit

Also, changes to prepend.csv are immediate. No need to restart Openbox/log-out/in. The next time the menu is invoked, changes are shown. At least that's been my experience on several distros. I edit it mostly for appearance.

Thanks for Sparky.
8bit.

pavroo

Setting a new web browser via xfce4-settings is stored localy for a logged user, for Xfce and here for Openbox only.
Setting a new web browser via update-alternatives is globaly and has to be done separetly.

8bit

^ And only update-alternatives changes the browser that gets invoked by the Openbox right-click menu. (Web)
That's what was confusing me. Most Openbox distros change the x-www-browser setting with xfce-settings dialog, so the main menu reflects that change.
(BunsenLabs - jgmenu, Mabox Linux - jgmenu, Monjaro Openbox - obmenu, Star Linux - obmenu, etc.)
But it doesn't have to, that's the dev's call. Have I got that right?

And that goes for the other defaults of the main menu, i.e. x-terminal?

Except File, that calls a script to decide what file manager is installed. So if a user had pcmanfm installed but the script found thunar first (it checks for thunar first), that's what would be called. So if a user wanted to change the file manager that gets called by the main menu, they would edit prepend.csv, or /usr/bin/sparky-fileopen, or?

TIA

pavroo

I set the jgmenu to launch:
- system default w-www-browser instead of a specyfic we browser
- system default x-terminal-emulator instead of a specyfic terminal
so changing it globaly via update-alternatives lets you use them via jgmenu without editing jgmenu.

8bit

^ Thanks. That's succinct way of saying what I said. :) But doesn't answer the only real question asked, how to change the file manager called by jgmenu.

TIA

8bit

pavroo

I think I lost.

prepend.csv calls a sparky script called "sparky-fileopen" which checks most file managers and loads the first installed from the list.
So simply change:
File,sparky-fileopen,system-file-manager
to any, for example pcmanfm:
PCManFM,pcmanfm,system-file-manager

8bit

Quote from: pavroo on March 23, 2021, 09:08:20 PM
I think I lost.

No contest to loose. Just a Sparky fan trying to figure out the Sparky Way of doing things. 8)

8bit

View the most recent posts on the forum