Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[SOLVED] Suspend is not working

Started by rektal, March 16, 2021, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lami07

@rektal. Boot into Tumbleweed. Update bootlader from command line or yast and reboot. This time sparky kernel will be there.
Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

rektal

Success!

I have updated grub in Tumbleweed.
Then  reboot to Sparky. Now it is kernel 5.11.8. Thank you @lami07

After this and a new Sparky kernel 5.11.8, suspend is working again. Thank you @MoroS.
There is one problem. When I boot to Sparky there is no plymouth boot theme and I see console.

rektal

When I press F2 while booting I see grey screen with 3 white dots

Before that I had.Sparky Blue plymouth theme.
How to fix it?

MoroS

So, it was a stock Debian kernel issue then. I wasn't rooting for that one, actually. ;)

I also kind of missed the fact, that you have multiple distros on a single machine and thought that you're booting M$ or Tumbleweed from live media (yeah, didn't occur to me, that practically no one suspends the machine while on a live distro ;) )., hence my confusion. Luckily @lami07 swooped in and saved the day (thanks!! :) ), as I was getting really confused. ;D

As for the GRUB theme, then this one will be a bit tricky to do. It was probably set up with Sparky's configuration (installer updated the GRUB config). Now, that you did an update from Tumbleweed, it might have used it's own configuration and theming in that place. It's only a hypothesis, as I never actually tried installing two different distros aside one another. What you would probably need to do is to update the GRUB config from Sparky's side again with the same tool that was used in Tumbleweed (I'm assuming it's GRUB2, which, as you mentioned, you don't have installed on Sparky - the initial configuration was made from the installer, which had that).
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

lami07

I strongly advice not to mess with grub configuration.
You are in a delicate situation where if you make small mistake and replace tumbleweed bootloader with sparkys you wont be able to boot tumbleweed any more. Why? Because opensuse strongly pushes btrfs file system. Their btrfs utils and grub config contains additional patches not found in debian/sparky. Debian grub can't property boot opensuse tumbleweed.
Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

rektal

OK. I will not to mess with grub.
I will take advice from @lami07.

I will use Sparky as my default distro. Then I will replace Tumbleweed permanently.

Thank you @lami07 and @MoroS for help.
I really appreciate it.

MoroS

Quote from: lami07 on March 21, 2021, 11:19:45 AM
I strongly advice not to mess with grub configuration.
You are in a delicate situation where if you make small mistake and replace tumbleweed bootloader with sparkys you wont be able to boot tumbleweed any more.

Then how did @rektal get a Sparky-themed GRUB menu in the first place (he lost it after running configuration updates from Tumbleweed)? It seems that at the very least the configuration from Sparky was applied (installer perhaps?) and he could still boot into Tumbleweed.

@rektal: Did the GRUB theme change (to Sparky's) when you installed Sparky?

rektal

It is a little complicated. I try to explain it.
I have got 3 disks.
sda - this is my first disk where I have got Tumbleweed and Windows10.
sdb - the second one is my disk to backup Windows files. It is parted to ntfs partiton and ext4 partition. This ext4 partition I am using to test linux distros f.e. Sparky. My previous distro was MX Linux 19.3.
sdc - it is external drive for backup.

My default disk to boot is sda disk. Grub2 shows me Tumbleweed, Sparky and Windows 10.
When I want to try another distro I disconnect my sda and sdc hard drives. Then I install distro on sdb drive.
Then I reconnect my sda and sdc drives and set sda drive as my first boot drive (Tumbleweed). In Tumbleweed I update grub2.
I can choose from boot menu Sparky linux. First time, before changing kernel from 5.10.04 to 5.11.8, my plymouth theme Sparky-Blue was working fine. After kernel upgrade it didn't work.

rektal

Why grub2 is not a default grub in Sparky?

MoroS

Quote from: rektal on March 21, 2021, 05:13:17 PM
Why grub2 is not a default grub in Sparky?

It is. That should be the case for you also. You can try running, let's say this:
sudo grub-mkconfig --version

GRUB1 is out of usage for quite a few years now and I don't know if there's any distro out there that still uses it. Maybe some packages are not available on Sparky out-of-the-box, when you choose not to install GRUB during installation, but I didn't look at the installer's code or configuration too much (only when bugfixing it a while back) to confirm or deny it.

pavroo

There is no GRUB1 in Sparky for years, all edytions use GRUB2.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

rektal

I use on Tumbleweed btrfs file system. Is it possible to use it on Sparky?
Is it safe to use it on Debian system or should I stay on ext4 file system?

MoroS

It's probably possible to use it in any modern Linux distro. Sparky doesn't have any customizations related to this, so you can follow the general Debian guidelines: https://wiki.debian.org/Btrfs

rektal

Thank you. I will end this thread.

Thank you @pavroo and @MoroS.

View the most recent posts on the forum