Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Installation Error Calamares on uefi32/64bit laptop

Started by dasoy, March 12, 2021, 12:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dasoy

Hi Sparkers!
Im installing on an Asus X205TA which has an uefi32 on an 64bit processor, so installing is not simple, been trying many OS.
Sparky seems to work fine on the LIVE USB and also it comes with the 32/64bit bootloader already on the iso (most OS dont do this so trying to boot from usb on those requieres extra iso preparation)
On sparky the USB LIVE booting goes perfect, the issue comes with calamares installer, seen that problem also with manjaro but the workaround i did at the moment (manual partitioning) dont work here, im manualing partitioning this way:

-512mb fat32 boot/efi   boot-esp flags
-4096mb swap swap flag
-rest for ext4 root root flag

Heres the calamares output error

INSTALATION FAILED

Boost.Python error in job "bootloader".
Command 'grub-install --target=i386-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Sparky --force' returned non-zero exit status 1.
grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/i386-efi/modinfo.sh doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory.

Traceback:
File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 457, in run
    prepare_bootloader(fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 429, in prepare_bootloader
    install_grub(efi_directory, fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 297, in install_grub
    "--force"])

File "<string>", line 4, in <module>

also tried the advanced installer, goes clean but whe booting dont see anything and goes to bios and no option in the bios  for booting sparky

any help welcome!

Thanks!

paxmark1

Yeah, those 32/64   were extremely difficult, some people seem like they have gotten it to work.    BayTrail

I would guess that your best chance would be with the advanced installer.   As you stated you were successful in getting the live version up.   For wherever you end up going for help, the output of

inxi -bGC --xx  can be gotten while running the live version..

Which one are you trying?  Sparky5  - stable or Sparky6 - semi-rolling. 

One consideration is how much ram you have.   If you have only 4 GB, my opinion is that the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit is minimal on a non-crippled CPU.      It would not a catastrophe if you went with 32 bit.   And you can keep trying to install 64 bit if you have a spare SDHC.   Or install 32 bit on an SDHC card and keep trying for something with 64 bit on your HDD.   

Hopefully some body who was sucessful in getting 64 bit installed will post.

Quick web search (next time please post what you have tried and where you have searched) 

https://psathul.wordpress.com/2019/05/09/how-to-install-linux-on-32-bit-uefi-systemnetbooks/
I have no idea on his competency.   He does do modifications on grub config.     

Also.  There is a Debian wiki page on ASUS x205ta

Also
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_x205ta
As always they have an excellent wiki, but it is very specific to ArchLinux.   
This page was last edited on 12 March 2021, at 18:16.    However I notice it is mentioning synaptics for the touchpad.   It has been around awhile.   

Good luck, you may need it.   As I said, going with 32 bit is not the end of the world.
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

Raikenzom

View the most recent posts on the forum