Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Blocked web pages

Started by elish, March 06, 2021, 11:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elish

Hi

I started getting the following message when browsing some sites (for example thechive.com):

"Fortinet Secure DNS Service Portal - Web Page Blocked! You have tried to access a web page which belongs to a category that is blocked."

The message appears in different web browsers like Firefox and Pale Moon.
No notification was given to me by my internet service provider.
And no helpful solution was found when searching the internet.

Any idea how to solve this issue?

My version of Sparky is 6 with kernel 5.9.0-4-amd64

paxmark1

I browsed the Fortinet site and the Wiipedia page very briefly.   You say your ISP has not notified you.   My guess is that your ISP is the most likely portion of the route from your linux box to the web site to block.  You could try contacting them.   Unless Fortinet has been given charge to secure the entire country that you live in, much less likely.

As the years go by I receive more alerts of "Do you really want to go there" from US military sites (Arctic Sea Ice thickness is HYCOM which is open to all), scientific journals and linux sites, even Debian sites, because they implemented their SSL' privately.  Going from strongly advising you to avoid to outright blocking is very worrisome.

If it is your ISP and not the browser. a VPN might help. (If your country allows VPN's).  Having to say "Oh pretty please let me go to"  to have an ISP or Fortinet whitelist a site could become an all day job.

I am not an expert in these things, i am just an amateur.  Hopefully others have better ideas of where the blockage occurs and how to get around it.
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

elish

Thank you!
I'm also no expert but I was hoping for some operating system level fix because the problem appeared after my latest APTus system upgrade.
I will wait for more ideas here and try contacting my ISP.
Thanks again.

View the most recent posts on the forum