Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

MATE: infinite loop on auto-update

Started by pccobbler, February 18, 2021, 01:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pccobbler

I installed a Sparky MATE system onto an SSD connected via USB. I've installed quite a few Linux distributions this way. When it was finished, I rebooted. The update tool started. It asked if I wanted to update. I said yes, it displayed a terminal, and then displayed the "recomputing packages" (or whatever that language is). This was a bad sign, as that only is supposed to appear after the update is finished. Then the entire process restarted. Then the entire process restarted. Then I killed that dialog because clearly it was in an infinite loop. I rebooted -- and the same thing happened. So I did things manually -- "apt update" and "apt upgrade" in a terminal. Seems like a bug to me. Is there a way to disable the auto-update process to stop the infinite loop?

In case it matters, the hardware is Intel 3rd Generation Core processor and 8 GB memory.

Also, the below is a part of the messages from "apt upgrade": is the syntax error important?

Setting up python3 (3.9.1-1) ...
running python rtupdate hooks for python3.9...
/usr/share/bleachbit/bleachbit/__init__.py:260: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a l
iteral. Did you mean "!="?
  if msgctxt is not None and msgctxt is not "":
running python post-rtupdate hooks for python3.9...

pavroo

The updater loops if a problem of a package version.
Package of exaile breaks it, so finishing upgrade manually can fix it. 
And don't worry about bleachbit.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

pccobbler

@pavroo

Okay, thanks for the reply. After updating manually, the loop is broken.

pccobbler

It keeps happening. I wish someone would tell me how to disable the autoupdate.

pavroo

Simply run:
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

pccobbler

Except that the auto-update starts before I can execute any terminal commands, hence my request.

paxmark1

When the grub2 boot options show, do the repair option, Ctl-D,   which will put you into a TTY  and the use the above commands from the TTY-terminal like.    Any other problems  in install  possibly also "sudo dpkg --configure -a"    but probably not needed.
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum