Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

What should I choose, SSH or telnet?

Started by mdre808, December 13, 2020, 03:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdre808

I saw a linux video coure, telling that SSH is better, but I found telnet is default.

paxmark1

telnet is extremely obsolete and using it opens your system wide open to being hacked.   This is not the 1990's or early 2000's.   

(
Quoteaptitude show telnet
Package: telnet                         
Version: 0.17-41.2
State: not installed (configuration files remain)
Priority: standard
Section: net
Maintainer: Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 167 k
Depends: netbase, libc6 (>= 2.15), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.0), libstdc++6 (>= 5)
Replaces: netstd
Provides: telnet-client
Description: basic telnet client
The telnet command is used for interactive communication with another host using the TELNET protocol.

For the purpose of remote login, the present client executable should be depreciated in favour of an ssh-client, or in some cases with variants like telnet-ssl or Kerberized TELNET clients.  The most important
reason is that this implementation exchanges user name and password in clear text.

On the other hand, the present program does satisfy common use cases of network diagnostics, like protocol testing of SMTP services, so it can become handy enough.
Tags: admin::login, interface::shell, network::client, protocol::ipv6, protocol::telnet, role::program, uitoolkit::ncurses, use::login
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

mdre808

View the most recent posts on the forum