Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[SOLVED]Sparky GameOver Partitioning/Install Issues UEFI Dual Bios MB

Started by Kyanite393, June 08, 2020, 12:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyanite393

Yeah I don't think it's possible... people can't even install Win 7 on Z170 chipsets...
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/3h8vk0/build_help_installing_windows_7_on_skylake_z170/

Are you linux guys aware of this? Is there some sort of workaround? If not linux is dead... cause all new hardware will only load Win 10...?

Am I wrong?

fdisk results: Looks like the HDD is pristine 0 bad blocks...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188797102@N03/shares/5492Xv

Since chipsets are designed now to messup installing any OS besides Win 10 via live USB now... I am going to attempt to write iso's to DVD and see if I can get it done that way? Burned a gameover dvd and a lxqte... see what happens...

Any better suggestions? Should I just give up? Is linux dead for new machines?

Hurray for Naziesque Capitalism!

paxmark1

1  The article is from 2016.   The user manual that I found for your board appears to be from 2015.   The board should run linux.  You have on board Intel graphics, that is very well supported in linux.  You will not have to deal with the hybrid Bumblebee, etc. etc.  If you have added another video card, you can mention it.   But you stated that it does work with the live version running off of the USB.  It appears to be a very nice board. 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5-rev-10/support#support-manual

Myself Gigabyte product: H81M-S2H GSM   from 2015, .  It has been rock solid and has only run Linux (windows in virtual). 

But if I am in error about the usb's, trying to install via a DVD should do the trick.  Again, I recommend going with the stable version. 

Internet connection - wired ethernet or wifi. The manual seems to say that it has no wifi on the board.  Plugging into ethernet will solve any problems with crappy (for linux) wifi dongles.  You can always fix that later.  Sparky comes with the non-free firmware all set to go, so hopefully you will be good with that.  There are still a few dongles that are a real ...   however. 

I would not worry about formatting anymore prior to installation.  The partitioning via your install will set it all up. 

As previously noted by Iami07   
QuoteHi. If I were you I would go with:
- GPT partition scheme
- 512MB fat32 /EFI/boot
- 16GB swap
- 60GB system partition ''/''
- ''/home'' partition - rest of the hard drive

Install bootloader on the device (/dev/sda),  instead of system partition.

BIOS-grub partition is not needed on system with UEFI

Take a break, get some rest and try the stable branch of sparky. 

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

Kyanite393

I did it! Was my hail mary, if this didn't work I was gonna give up... so glad it worked!

Thanks to you all for your help.

Basically I believe from my research INTEL built-in to their firmware a hangup for installing any OS via USB besides Win 10 for their Z170 Chipset...

So as previously stated I burned DVDs of ISOs in Sparky GameOver live.

Then after that was done I set up the partitions as suggested by Lami and set them all to format and applied all the changes in gparted.

After that I completely shutdown the machine and took out the USB.

Then I double checked all my BIOS settings. Turned of Vt-d. Turned off Super IO Port. Suggestions from research... Made sure security was disabled.

Then booted from the DVD and installed via Calamares setting all the proper flags and mounting points to the partitions I created in gparted on the live USB.(Internet Disconnected)

Installed in less than 15 minutes. Took out the DVD and completely shutdown the machine again.

Started her up and I have a working Sparky GameOver 2020.05 all setup. Did the first start upgrades and Aptus.

She seems good to go!

I'll modify this post and add links to pictures for others to see how I got past my issues.

Now I just need to download AMD GPU drivers and get my AMD 5500 XT operational. Still running off on-board graphics atm.

Success!:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188797102@N03/shares/68Ag7Q

Feeling like I just reached the summit of Everest! Thanks All!!!

Kyanite393

Quote from: paxmark1 on June 09, 2020, 06:39:57 AM
1  The article is from 2016.   The user manual that I found for your board appears to be from 2015.   The board should run linux.  You have on board Intel graphics, that is very well supported in linux.  You will not have to deal with the hybrid Bumblebee, etc. etc.  If you have added another video card, you can mention it.   But you stated that it does work with the live version running off of the USB.  It appears to be a very nice board. 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5-rev-10/support#support-manual

There have been over eleven revisions of this MB so the 2015 date is the first revision... this is no more than 2 years old. Just built this machine.

Good to know ya'll already know about that problem though  ;)  Much gratitude for all input!

Kyanite393

Quote from: paxmark1 on June 09, 2020, 06:39:57 AM
But if I am in error about the usb's, trying to install via a DVD should do the trick.  Again, I recommend going with the stable version. 

Internet connection - wired ethernet or wifi. The manual seems to say that it has no wifi on the board.  Plugging into ethernet will solve any problems with crappy (for linux) wifi dongles.  You can always fix that later.  Sparky comes with the non-free firmware all set to go, so hopefully you will be good with that.  There are still a few dongles that are a real ...   however.

Boy howdy... you weren't kidding about a few dongles... my heads spinning just trying to get it off my onboard video and install my amd card...

I'm pretty positive the live USB Z170 chipset was the problem. Cause it would NOT create a live usb of any linux while I was on live, but it sure did write a Win 10 live USB in gameover live real fast. Plus it always stopped at that same number 100238/225940 of the unpacking image process no matter what till I went to DVDs. They must have assumed DVDs would be antiquated by now and didn't put a stop there... or they just don't want to piss everyone off...

Take a break, get some rest and try the stable branch of sparky.

Strongly considering this advice after about 4 hours of trying to switch from intel onboard video to pci-express sapphire amd 5500 xt...

Part of me likes the challenge, I've learned a ton already I feel like yet I still know nothing comparetively as to running rolling efficiently lol

I think I'm gonna try one more reinstall of gameover, but with 5500xt on and connected see what happens. Probably gonna go stable though.

lami07

Kyanite393 is AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT your card ? If yes dont waste time with stable. Stable cant handle this card with its ancient kernel and mesa.
Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

Kyanite393

Oh I'm sorry, I see you're saying stable will not have the gpu drivers for these newer cards as distro is older than the cards... got ya... Sorry misunderstood thought you were saying my card was too old.. derp :-X

Thanks for tip, I'll keep at it with the rollings.

The AMD RX 5500 XT. It is the 3rd best AMD card out on the market right now I believe... It cost me $300ish bucks last month or two ago... and was just released Dec 2019. It's one of their newest cards.

The 5600 XT and 5700 XT are the only two cards currently being manufactured by AMD that are above the 5500 XT... at about an extra $100 per each upgrade in cost.

As seen below:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188797102@N03/shares/RNYLxC

View the most recent posts on the forum