Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

After last update i got the follow grub Error

Started by hewar123, August 01, 2020, 08:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewar123

When u need some information, tell me please what u need. I have no plan what this is and what to do, to solve it.

See below for the problem:
I got a black screen with the follow sentence:
"Minimal BASH like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions."
Then i can type something to solve this grub Error:
grub>

xfrank

Same issue here. I'm a "medium" linux user (not expert but not newbe) and I could not fix this problem! I tried several command fixes and I also run boot-repair via usb, with no luck (apparently grub is reinstalled, but the problem persist: system boot into grub prompt). What I can do?   :-\

bin

Seems that this is a bit of a widespread problem. If you run the grub update and do not point to the correct boot drive - or if you run unattended upgrades, then this is the result - as I found out!

In the end I just grabbed rescatux and burned it to a key. Booted that and used the Grub fix tool - all good.

hewar123

Okay i try it out thank you for the answer. I Download now rescatux https://sourceforge.net/projects/rescatux/. If this does not work, is there a way to access my hard drive and back up my data?
so hours later i tried rescatux out. In my case the program says that everything has been fixed, but it continues to run and there is no "Finish", not even after 2 hours. How long did it take to get "finish" in your case? @bin

xfrank

I also tried Rescatux and Boot Repair, no way. In the end I decided to reinstall the OS, all went fine.

bin

Quote from: hewar123 on August 02, 2020, 11:58:49 AM
Okay i try it out thank you for the answer. I Download now rescatux https://sourceforge.net/projects/rescatux/. If this does not work, is there a way to access my hard drive and back up my data?
so hours later i tried rescatux out. In my case the program says that everything has been fixed, but it continues to run and there is no "Finish", not even after 2 hours. How long did it take to get "finish" in your case? @bin

Took about 5 seconds - it's only running the equivalent of a couple of commands after all. I use MBR - and I was under the impression that this issue was MBR specific....but that could be wrong.

You can access your data using any live USB. However, if you have your /home on a separate partition then there's no real problem. If you reinstall the same distro you'll just have to catch up with any other programs you installed, your data and configs will still be there - PROVIDED you do not format the /home partition. By default the Sparky installer is set to NOT format a ptn - you have to choose to do so - so it is pretty hard to get it wrong.

View the most recent posts on the forum