Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

how could I get graphic interface-xserver back?

Started by mdre808, May 11, 2020, 03:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdre808

after I was struggled with dealing with installing NVIDIA for days, i failed. then, when reboot my notebook, it can't enter xserver, instead, the text terminal. i tried a few ways like type"startx",alt and f7, then failed.please help me!the OS is semi rolling.the NVIDIA is GeForce 6100m.  :-\the emergency is i can not enter the graphic system,  the xserver, i almost can do nothing with a text terminal system. thus, the formost is how to get into the xserver back. after i failed to install NVIDIA, i can't enter xserver, so maybe this cause that issue. please help me and thanks a lot!
what i did the helpful good one told to is:
i looked up the debian wiki, it is too much for me, esp in a pure text terminal i can do few. i can give up install this "super complicated"manipulation of installing NVIDIA,(it is actually NVIDIA optimus , which seems need more to deal as i looked up the wiki) just want the graphic system back.

lami07

More info required. Whats your system? (Sparky obviously, but which one semi-rolling, stable, oldstable?)
Whats your GPU exactly ? Is it single graphics or hybrid (integrated intel GPU + dedicated NVIDIA ). How did you install NVIDIA proprietary driver? Did you follow debian wiki?
https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

mdre808

the emergency is i can not enter the graphic system,  the xserver, i almost can do nothing with a text terminal system. thus, the formost is how to get into the xserver back. after i failed to install NVIDIA, i can't enter xserver, so maybe this cause that issue. please help me and thanks a lot!

mdre808

please save my notebook.

lami07

Unless you start to cooperate and answer my questions I won't be able to help. I'm no you. I have no idea what your hardware is and I have no clue what you messed up with your system. I need answers.

No answers = reinstall your system.
Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

mdre808

1, a semi rolling.
2,a NVIDIA GeForce06100m for notebook, and akind of inter graph GPU.
3, i had forgot the details, i just biying the steps randomly and just did.
4,i don't know there is a debian kiwi.

mdre808

i looked up the debian wiki, it is too much for me, esp in a pure text terminal i can do few. i can give up install this "super complicated"manipulation of installing NVIDIA, just want the graphic system back.

lami07

QuoteNVIDIA GeForce06100m for notebook, and akind of inter graph GPU
I have hard time understanding this. Do you mean single geforce 6100m without integrated intel GPU?

Important question now. Do you have active internet connection on a system in question ( aka system with broken graphical environment) ?

mdre808

as i did the steps by your addressed wiki, it is appeared an inter GPU and a NVIDIA,(2 lines not one ) then i read more of the page, that means the page will not slove the problem. then i found the other page, which is beyond my beginner's knowledge, and then i had a glance at my notebook, its tapped the logo--NVIDIA optimus. I will give up, just want xserver back in use, maybe with the default nueave(i can't remember correctly)happily forever.

paxmark1

First thing to remember - since you are in testing - semirolling - over 95% of your binaries are from  Debian Bullseye    the testing version. 
https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee

That is a bumblebee  a hybrid NVIDIA-Intel.  It had quite a "sting" and was wild like a wasp.   For a biology analogy - think about donkey and horse offspring,  Support for it is improving. 

As noted in the Bumblbee page
QuoteIntel
    If your graphic card is etc. 2007 and newer, try uninstalling xserver-xorg-video-intel and use the builtin modesetting driver
    do NOT run nvidia-xconfig

You have typing errors - typos.  The following advice will eliminate them.
please post output of

inxi -br

Mark up as code via the # button.
To see how another newcomer posted it please see 
https://forum.sparkylinux.org/index.php/topic,5288

I do not have and so have not been stung by the bumble bee.    Please remember that you are in Debian Bullseye for Debian info.    Best of luck   
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

mdre808

l typed inxi -br, and no idea to show then on the forum, since i can only enter the text terminal which i nearly can't do everything. it  says a)CPU is intel core i3-237m.
b)graphics
device1 ...intergrated...i915
2 GeForce610m driver n/a
display tty x.org 1.20.4 driver NVIDIA tty 170*48
massage :advanced graphics data unavailable in console. try G display.
by the way, after i looked up you recommended website, it says don't  run NVIDIA x config, maybe i did! i remembered there is an icon of NVIDIA i install by aptus, the icon never be opened; after I messed up the endeavors, suddenly i can open it, then, never return to graphic interface, xserver again.

mdre808

graphic interface back is prior, the notebook is old second handed, made in  2012. if nouveau works well, why brothered to ask more on this old notebook?
as i looked videos, pictures of website, i had to wait for a while, but, my smartphone is no more waiting. so i tried to "optimize" that and messed up.

mdre808

when i startx, it says inated with error(1)
xinit giving up
server error

mdre808

okay, it is back at midnight. i just uninstall NVIDIA, then install nouveau and its other dependences, here it is.
so, never take the risk of installing NVIDIA on linux if you have this graphic card,is my strong advice.

View the most recent posts on the forum