Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

SparkyLinux on hulked out ThinkPad T420 running Linux Manjaro (ARCH)

Started by eelzonwheels, March 06, 2020, 05:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eelzonwheels

Uhhh title says it all. I a,m stuck. I absolutely cannot get this to run. Please walk me through the steps. Thanks.

paxmark1

Do you still have the Manjaro?  If so posting  (marked up as code - # button) output of "inxi -brDGP"

1.  What does "hulked out" mean.

2.  It should not matter what is on the computer if you are going for a clean install.   If you are going to dual boot, the inxi  command will help us. 

3.  Stable or Rolling?  Which iso. Did you checksum.  What point in install did it fail at. Have you tried the Advanced installer. 

The only Sparky I have left has more than 4 years since installation (it has stayed in rolling - Testing this time).  I am rusty on the installation.

I am doing 60 hour weeks at wokr.  For someone who is coming from a derivative of not the easiest distro (Arch)    ....

If you need that much help, I strongly suggest you start with Stable.   The wiki does a good job of explaining.

peace out,
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

eelzonwheels

To clarify, I want to go to Sparkly from Manjaro, and am stuck. How would be the best way to "leave" manjaro and join Sparkly. Thanks.

paxmark1

That would be a "clean install."   If you have things on /home   find a way to save them.  usb, external hard drive, on the cloud, etc. 

Select your source image. Please use the Stable version.  You can always change to Rolling after you learn your way around.  Download.  Checksum the .iso

Select what Desktop environment to use. XFCE, LXQT, Mate, etc.  KDE will be slower possibly on your T420.

NOTE:  If you still have a working Manjaro, it probably has the command line program called inxi.   The above requst to post the output of  "inxi -brDGP" could save everyone much energy.  Mark it up as code. 

As per the wiki, you can try the Calamares installer or the advanced installer.  The advanced installer is not that overly technical.  Your choice.  Read the wiki. 

https://wiki.sparkylinux.org/doku.php/install           Several other pages, use back and forward buttons to view.   
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

eelzonwheels

Hey so uhhhhh I was able to figure out the installation and got through it,,, on uhhhh Minimal CLI lmao. Is there a way I could install GameOver from it, without using any other hardware or devices. The bottle neck now seems to be my limitation to about a hundred 700mb CDs. Thanks so much.

paxmark1

You can always use USB sticks.  Installs faster that way also.

eelzonwheels

I'll be real with ya hoss the reason I'm running Linux on a ThinkPad T420 is because I don't have any spare income to use for computer stuff.

paxmark1

4 gb usb $4.   Or borrow usb from a friend  ( you would have to reformat back to fat32 or whatever when done to return it). 

Retreating to defining the purpose.  What will you use your computer for and what skills do you wish to acquire.  You do not need to answer - it can be a guide for you. 

You will have a useful computer via the minimal install via the CD-rom.  Others can point you towards how to enable whatever sparky repos exist in /etc/sources.list/... and what to download.   I do not know how to expand to gaming, I run minimal systems. 

View the most recent posts on the forum