Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum

Author Topic: Suddenly cannot access Windows shares on router HD  (Read 867 times)

Offline thesailor

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Karma: 0
Suddenly cannot access Windows shares on router HD
« on: January 02, 2020, 05:45:35 am »
I have been using Sparky for some while and have always been able to access the hard drive on my router simply by clicking on it in the file manager. All of a sudden when I get to the individual folders I am thrown off with this message: "Failed to mount Windows share: Software caused connection abort." I have been unable to find a solution so can anyone here help me please?

Every other computer in the house - Linux, Windows and Mac - can access these folders, which are set for anonymous access. Normally a box comes up asking for password etc or connect anonymously, which is what we always do. This is not coming up so I suspect it may be something to do with the anonymous access I have set in the router. It seems to be in Sparky or Xfce that the problem lies.

I recently made a clean install of Sparky 6 as I had some corruption, but cannot remember if I have accessed the folders since doing so, or whether maybe a recent update messed up something.

Offline paxmark1

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 855
  • Karma: 4
Re: Suddenly cannot access Windows shares on router HD
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 06:42:59 am »
I haven't used smb  samba in years. 

If you desperately need to access something, you could ssh into on command line

I see there have been some changes with samba  Stable Sparky has 4.9.5 which was a newer major release in 2018.   Testing - Sparky 6 has version 4.11  That might be where the poor connections lie.

Debian BTS    I notice
Downgrading samba to stable 2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1 on the server fixes the problem.

NOTE: do not downgrade just because i mention it.  I am just showing you ways to look up bugs and such.  I just noticed it in a quick glance.


As you can see below, Samba has lots of updates and is very well looked after in Debian as in all other linux os(es)
Hopefully others who use and know samba will post. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

Offline thesailor

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Karma: 0
Re: Suddenly cannot access Windows shares on router HD
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 04:19:13 am »
Thanks for that. Sorry to be so long replying but have been away from computer. Not sure where to go from here, but I have ways round it so it is not a deal-breaker.

Offline Bill Statler

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 28
  • Karma: 1
Re: Suddenly cannot access Windows shares on router HD
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:15:00 pm »
I'm not sure if this is related, but I ran into a Samba problem a few months ago when smbclient on my Sparky machine was upgraded to version 4.11, and I was no longer able to connect with an older machine running Samba 4.2.14.

The problem turned out to be that the new smbclient uses SMB2 as its minimum protocol by default.  This conflicted with an earlier "fix" that I'd put in my /etc/samba/smb.conf file:

Code: [Select]
client max protocol = NT1
After I removed that, everything worked.

Anyway, you might check for whether your Sparky system and your router are using compatible protocols.