Development > Remastering

Sparky Bonsai - a portable edition of SparkyLinux

<< < (2/4) > >>

carlo:
EDIT: i wrote some very silly thing

just a couple of questions from silly  me:
if i put the iso on a usb flash drive i sort of have a parky installed there, just the username is sparky, right?
and i can install and add files on the system and they won't be wiped away from the drive at the very next reboot?

jidan:

--- Quote from: carlo on December 08, 2019, 04:40:55 pm ---EDIT: i wrote some very silly thing

just a couple of questions from silly  me:
if i put the iso on a usb flash drive i sort of have a parky installed there, just the username is sparky, right?
and i can install and add files on the system and they won't be wiped away from the drive at the very next reboot?

--- End quote ---

1. Read carefully the instructions, carlo. Username is "puppy", not "sparky". You can create users of your own and you have to add them to sudo group. User puppy is ready for use. You can also login as root.
2. If you "burn" the iso on a usb flash using dd command or other software, it will boot but you won't be able to save changes on usb. In this case it behaves as a CD/DVD read-only optical disk.
In order to keep your changes, you have to follow the procedure described in instructions (see first post). If your usb is fat32 formatted (all usb sticks comes this way), you have to use the .dat file option. Else, if you formatted in ext2/3 or another linux file system, you can use a /live/changes folder.

jidan:
There is an updated release with bugfixes and the slim login manager replaced getty login. There's also a new module containing non-free firmware (firmware-linux-nonfree and firmware-misc-nonfree) available for downloading.
See the updated instructions on first post.

jidan:
The second release of Sparkybonsai, a live GNU/Linux distribution based on DebianDog and SparkyLinux Po-Tolo, a Bullseye Debian derivative, is avalable to download at
--- Code ---https://osdn.net/projects/sparkybonsai
--- End code ---

The basic iso (360MB) contains the JWM window manager, PCManFM file and desktop manager, mousepad text editor, Qalculator, Xarchiver, Lxterminal, Lxpolkit, ARandR, Redshift and DebianDog's tools.
The modules iso (910MB) contains the same system plus some extra pre-installed and configured packages:
1.Firefox with tor configured and some extra add-ons
2.Synaptic package manager with xapian index
3.Fonts pack with ms ttf fonts and Fontmatrix manager
4.Office pack with Libre Office and Qpdfview
5.Vlc media player
6.Stremio media center with many plugins installed
All modules can be activated/deactivated on demand to fit your needs and keep your resources as light as possible.
Just right-click any module included in /ive/optional and activate/deactivate it with the DebianDog's tool. To let them appear in JWM's menu, you just have to do a Session-Restart and the Sparkybonsai menumaker script will do the rest.
All applications, actions and scripts will run on user's or root mode if you prefer. Will boot by default on user's mode but you can exit the session (Session-Exit) and login as root (or other user you may create) via the Slim login manager.
Sparkybonsai was tested by greek users and the default configuration (timezone, keyboard layout) is adapted for greeks.
Hope to enjoy this floral pup* as we did. If you do, consider sending a donation to our favor Debian distribution, Sparkylinux.
--- Code ---https://sparkylinux.org/donate/
--- End code ---

*Sparkybonsai is not a Puppy Linux distribution as it isn't based on woof-CE.

Username/password:
root 0000
puppy 0000
(four zeroes)

Debian:
--- Code ---https://www.debian.org
--- End code ---

DebianDog:
--- Code ---https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/
--- End code ---

Sparkylinux:
--- Code ---https://sparkylinux.org/
--- End code ---

BonsiUser:
Hi Jidan, my congratulations on this job.

My interest in Linux came from a long time ago, I have an ITX board based on Atom and 2 GB of RAM, which is the heart of my home server, it is a media server, a web server and a NAS. The main idea is to have a system that runs in RAM and every time it is reset it stays as it was in the beginning.

For a few months I was testing version 1.0 of this SparkyBonsai. From this version I did not like the JWM's color distribution in the properties windows and I changed it to OpenBox. The result was very visual, but the menus were depleted. Now I see that version 2.0 has already come out, this version has a new distribution in the colors of the properties windows that I do not dislike, I am going to test that it works. At the moment the only trouble that I see is a delay of almost 40 seconds in appearing the graphical interface. I am testing this ISO in the Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1 emulator. Later I will test it in production on the ITX board to see if the delay goes away.

Thanks for all this work again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version