Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum Linuxiarze.pl

Author Topic: SOLVED: MATE notification area does not display icons  (Read 43 times)

Offline pccobbler

SOLVED: MATE notification area does not display icons
« on: February 27, 2020, 06:36:17 pm »
I just built a minimal system on a laptop with Intel 3rd Generation Core hardware (it's running on an SSD in an external USB 3.0 enclosure). I installed MATE desktop. I deleted the panel at the bottom to free-up vertical real estate and moved the top-panel to the bottom. I removed the usual menu and added Brisk.

I added notification area, but it does not display anything. Is there a trick to this?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:58:08 pm by pccobbler »

Offline paxmark1

• https://forum.sparkylinux.org/index.php/topic,4614
Re: MATE notification area does not display icons
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 08:26:53 pm »
crucial info     rolling or stable?     installed mater via tasksel,  aptus suite, ...?    How  was bottom panel deleted?     and where have you looked for info? 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

Offline pccobbler

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 08:46:03 pm »
Stable, latest version (minimal 5.10.1) freshly downloaded and burned onto USB flash drive, and it really is on a Crucial SSD.

How was it deleted? By using the panel properties. How else would it be done?

I surfed and found an Ubuntu thread that recommended that script work was needed. I'm not doing that for a panel add that should work without drama.

APTus? For a panel add? You're joking, right? From Sparky's description: "Sparky APTus is a small, simply [sic] and lightweight front-end for 'apt-get' and 'dpkg” tools.'"
https://sparkylinux.org/sparky-aptus/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:50:20 pm by pccobbler »

Offline pavroo

• Global Moderator
    • SparkyLinux
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 09:49:35 pm »
How did you install MATE:
1. via the Minimal ISO + Advanced Installer choosing MATE desktop
or
2. after installation, running APTus and choosing MATE?
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux at irc.freenode.net

Offline pccobbler

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 11:57:54 pm »
#1 is true. After rereading my original post, I see my text was somewhat ambiguous.

I looked at APTus a few times and I must admit I do not understand it. There are a million things one could do, but it all seems so low-level and esoteric.

And I figured out my problem. I was bouncing back-and-forth between different distributions and got royally confused with different terms for the same thing. So I installed Devuan MATE and Ubuntu MATE on spare SSDs and realized my confusion. I initially assumed that the Debian/Ubuntu world was consistent, but that is not true. Devuan does not even offer a Brisk Menu (Sparky does), something which is front-and-center in Ubuntu MATE and something I really like. In Sparky, I wanted a Window List, which another distribution calls a Window Picker. I don't know why I got fixated on Notification Area.

Sorry for the time waste.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:01:39 am by pccobbler »

Offline paxmark1

• https://forum.sparkylinux.org/index.php/topic,4614
Re: SOLVED: MATE notification area does not display icons
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 03:50:35 am »
My assumption was that you had a cli based Sparky. 

So, my terse questions in order of  time. 
1.  choice of stable or rolling. 

The second question concerned how was your Mate DE added onto the command line install.   3 options of course, tasksel,  aptus would do it, or  of course you could have used apt or apt-get. 

3rd was ...    4th   please do that in the future.  Tell us where researched in the future. 

As they say, GIGO. 

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.