Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Open thunar as root [SOLVED]

Started by Crippled, August 23, 2019, 06:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crippled

It seems "open thunar as root" is missing when I right click on File or an icon. How can I add  open thunar as root? I found the answer elsewhere. It looks like this command goes in the Command box of custom actions: pkexec thunar %f
I am command line illiterate. I am a copy and paste terminal user.

21grams

Quote from: Crippled on August 23, 2019, 06:30:10 AM
... It looks like this command goes in the Command box of custom actions: pkexec thunar %f

Nice resolve.

I wonder if that command means thunar allows any text editor to open as root?

Edit - added pluma to use instead of the default mousepad and now opens as root to pluma. I like it.
21grams >> light in flight

xendistar

Quote from: Crippled on August 23, 2019, 06:30:10 AM
It seems "open thunar as root" is missing when I right click on File or an icon. How can I add  open thunar as root? I found the answer elsewhere. It looks like this command goes in the Command box of custom actions: pkexec thunar %f

You could try the following, right click on the desktop and select create launcher

In the name section type Thunar, the system will offer you a Thunar selection, if you select that it will auto fill the other boxes for you

In the command box add the word sudo in front of thunar %F so it will read sudo thunar %F

Tick both the options User Startup notifications & Run in terminal

Click create

Now right click on the new Thunar icon on your desktop and select properties >> permissions

Put a tick in Allow this file to run as a program

Select close

Now when you click on the desktop icon it will launch a terminal window and ask you to enter your sudo password and when you do Thunar will launch as root.

If you want a quicker option just open a terminal window and type sudo thunar

View the most recent posts on the forum