Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Firefox ESR installed but i want standard Firefox

Started by nom001, July 01, 2019, 08:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nom001

Hi all,

If i'm correct Firefox ESR is installed by default but i want standard Firefox. However, when i download the regular Firefox from the mozilla webiste i cannot install it. What seems to be the problem here?

pavroo

Hi
The package from Mozilla is not installable, it is just an archive, so extract it, get in the new firefox dir and click at the firefox file.
If you run Sparky 5, you can install firefox package via the package manager.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Crippled

The method described doesn't work.  :( I like SparkyLinux except for no being able to have regular Firefox work.   :(  Looks like I need to find a different distro because I need the regular Firefox because firefox ESR causes problems with some of my extensions working correctly.  :(
I am command line illiterate. I am a copy and paste terminal user.

kanliot

root@maleday:~# apt search firefox$
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
firefox/now 67.0.4-1 amd64 [installed,local]
  Mozilla Firefox web browser

You can see that firefox is installed here on sparkylinux 5-stable   it is not firefox-esr.   I believe you can fix this with two steps, remove firefox-esr and add firefox.

pavroo

Firefox (latest) is available for Sparky rolling, not stable.
You probably have Firefox 67 installed, couse you been using Sparky 5 rolling and upgraded up to Sparky 5 stable, I guess.

Anyway, you can try to install Firefox 68 from Sparky testing repos or change to Firefox-ESR.

kanliot

Quote from: pavroo on August 29, 2019, 11:44:40 AM
You probably have Firefox 67 installed, couse you been using Sparky 5 rolling and upgraded up to Sparky 5 stable, I guess...........Anyway, you can try to install Firefox 68 from Sparky testing repos or change to Firefox-ESR.

Shit.  I'm still learning sparky-linux.

# apt install 'sparky-apt'  'sparky6-apt'&& apt-get update
# apt install firefox

This gave me an error

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
firefox : Depends: libnss3 (>= 2:3.44.1~) but 2:3.42.1-1 is to be installed

This would be correctly  resolved by upgrading /etc/apt/sources.list, and dropping Debian buster in favor of Debian bullseye??  Correct?

It might be easier for me to install Firefox from tar.gz of the Firefox download page. 

pavroo

Yes, Firefox 68 needs newer libs, so looks like can't be installed on Sparky 5 anymore.

If you would like to switch to Sparky rolling, you have to change Debian & Sparky repos to testing, then try to install 'sparky6-apt' package (and make dist upgrade after):
https://sparkylinux.org/sparky-5-transition/

kanliot

Thanks for the reply Sir.   

I'm just going to install the binary from Mozilla: https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox

**edit: Yeah, works ok.  Should have created a desktop file before I uninstalled "debian testing"  Firefox.  That would have saved 2 minutes. 

I also should have made sure that /opt/firefox and the files therein were owned by the 1000:1000 user.  It wasn't auto-updating.  Firefox 69 looks great and google DNS is very fast.

View the most recent posts on the forum