Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

browsers: slow TLS handshake

Started by vp_nbi, June 24, 2019, 05:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vp_nbi

At first I thought this was a FireFox specific problem, but I'm also seeing this with Chrome and Midori. After a reboot the browsers work fine for a while, but eventually the TLS handshakes slow to a crawl (30+ seconds). Since this doesn't seem to be browser specific I'm wondering if this is a Debian and/or SparkyLinux issue. Has anyone encountered this and found a fix?

paxmark1

Pretty difficult to help when important info is not given.  Sparky 4 or 5?  Did you apt-mark hold libgnutls30 during the hiccup.  Firefox or Firefox-esr  Chrome or Chromium.  Mark up as code output your chrome...  and firefox...     versions and if possible also any pertinent logs  -  example   (Use the # button)
aptitude show firefox-esr                                                                                                                                                 
Package: firefox-esr                                                                                                                                                                         
Version: 60.7.1esr-1~deb9u1                                                                                                                                                                 
State: installed                                                                                                                                                                             
Automatically installed: no                                                                                                                                                                 
Priority: optional       

Vpn ??  Can you isolate it to one machine or could it be in the kit you have from your isp? 

I do not know if the problems would show up if run in terminal, but it might.    So example of starting up a browser in a terminal.
paxmark@raunes:~$ chromium
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

vp_nbi

FireFox 67.0.4 (as indicated by Pavroo in FF thread)
Chrome-stable 75.0.3770.100-1

Sparky 5.7

VPN not used.

Why would a terminal start be useful? The problem occurs during a TLS handshake - not before.

dbarron

Because STDOUT (including debug and error messages) will be visible in the terminal.

vp_nbi

Quote from: dbarron on June 25, 2019, 10:04:21 PM
Because STDOUT (including debug and error messages) will be visible in the terminal.

/var/log/

View the most recent posts on the forum