Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Installation with manual partition

Started by trejoscorza, May 31, 2019, 11:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trejoscorza

Good afternoon, I am trying to install sparkylinux-4.10-x86_64-lxde but with manual partitioning, but after doing the partitions, the following option does not appear and I can not continue with the installation. Create a primary partition for boot and an extended partition with three logical partitions for swap, root and home. Can someone help me to continue the installation?

paxmark1

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

trejoscorza

No. It is Intel 945GRG con Pentium 2.8 and has Bios. I am installing SparkyLinux again, because the VAR directory is full and brings inconveniences with the Dropbox application

lami07

Can't you simply create 4 primery partitions? boot root home swap ?
Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

paxmark1

For the past -  on the command line as root or via sudo  "ncdu"  will show you what uses how much space in a directory (and subdirectories) and if you know what you are doing you can delete via ncdu also. 
example 
--- /var ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  520.5 MiB [##########] /cache
  344.3 MiB [######    ] /log
  292.1 MiB [#####     ] /lib
   13.5 MiB [          ] /backups
    3.7 MiB [          ] /tmp
    1.1 MiB [          ] /spool
   80.0 KiB [          ] /mail
    8.0 KiB [          ] /games
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /opt
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /local
@   0.0   B [          ]  lock
@   0.0   B [          ]  run 

For the future - I now always use lvm (Logical Volume Manager) because of the time I had too small a /  - I have never had problems with lvm even in intel atoms with 1 gb memory.  You can adjust directories if they are too small, snapshots, etc. 

Design considerations for the next 2 years.
I do not see a huge difference on older underpowered machines with  Buster - Sparky 5 as opposed to Stretch - Sparky 4.  I would wager Buster will be stable by July.  If you choose to go with 5 - Buster, it will have fantastic security support for 2 years.  All you have to do is change all instances of testing to buster  in /etc/apt/sources.list and you will be tracking Debian Stable with the Sparky add ons. 

To accomplish your present goal you could use the automatic partition setup, copy it down, and then restart.   You can then do the manual set up using those values as a template that you can adjust up or down in size. 

If you are in this for the long haul to learn, lvm is a tool worth knowing.  peace out. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

trejoscorza

SOLVED: I Place / Boot on a primary partition and then create an extended partition with three logical partitions: / swap, / for the root directory, and / home. Place the symbol / and NO / root for the root directory, and do not check the root box. The following option appeared and I was able to finish the installation successfully

lami07

Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

View the most recent posts on the forum