Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[SOLVED] debian 9 stretch vs sparky / keybindings win10 like behaviour

Started by wolfomat, March 30, 2019, 01:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfomat

hi there, as i am relativly new to the linux scene (and now final linux user \o/) i am just curious about why i should use the sparky distri rather then debian 9 itself?
It sounds like a noob question i guess, but i am just curious ;)

kanliot

eh, you didn't say if you wanted a long or short answer :)

I had a really good time  the last time I installed Debian 9, but then I started getting weird bugs with the video driver.    Also Debian 9 had some sofware on it that made lots of since for GNOME, but didn't make sense for LXDE.

Really, the value of SparkyLinux, is what you get out of the box.  If you can install a few pieces of software, and everything runs ok, then that is where you want to stay. 

I'm running SparkyLinux LXQt, which is slightly newer than SparkyLinux LXDE, and I really love it.    It was really fast to fix the taskbar ( the "Strip" at the bottom that gets clicked to switch to a second app) to what looks and works correct for me.   I have legit reasons for not liking the way GNOME launches and switches applications.  I know you don't think the same, but that's my reasons and I'm sticking with SparkyLinux.

wolfomat

i am sticking into it because of gaming edition :) I am really just curious about other oppinions.
Should i upgrade die LXQt ? I am using LXDE but i like it ^^

lami07

Lxde is dying species. Sooner or later you will have to look for alternative. Lxqt already is viable replacement. Just need little refinement imo.
Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

wolfomat

ah okay, i see.
what i am also curious about (but didn't do any research), if it is possible to map some "SUPER (Windows key)+Left Arrow Keys"  to place windows simliar to windows 10.
(SUPER+LeftArrow = place window at current display to the left side / 50 percent of the display width), same goes for Right Arrow key, I've used this alot on windows but i am missing it a bit ;)

kanliot

https://askubuntu.com/questions/516303/tiling-windows-horizontally-and-vertically-under-lubuntu-lxde-openbox

There's different scripts if you want the two last windows tiled, or my suggestion is to setup keybinds to do the left window, then a second keybind for the right-window.

I believe the value should be set:
key=W-Left

for Windows+Left arrow key

I'll offer more help,  please ask.

Basically you'll need to use a text editor, to edit a config file, but only change the correct parts of the file, and etc. 
And then make sure openbox is restarted or reconfigured.

you're doing "Tile windows for openbox"  is what I googled for.

wolfomat

perfect !

I've modified it slighty to my  requirements:

<keybind key="W-Left">
    <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/>
    <action name="MoveResizeTo">
     <width>50%</width>
    </action>
    <action name="MaximizeVert"/>
     <x>0</x>
     <y>0</y>
    </action>
   </keybind>
   <!-- Vertical Tiling, right -->
   <keybind key="W-Right">
   <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/>
    <width>50%</width>
  </action>
  <action name="MaximizeVert"/>
    <x>-0</x>
    <y>0</y>
  </action>

now i am just experimenting with restore original window size (the example isn't working as i expected), but it is okay now :D thanks!

lami07

Thanks for the idea folks. Mentioned keybindings are going to be added to default config.
Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

wolfomat

Quote from: lami07 on March 30, 2019, 02:22:42 PM
Lxde is dying species. Sooner or later you will have to look for alternative. Lxqt already is viable replacement. Just need little refinement imo.

so, for switching to lxqt i think i'll wait until it releases to version 1.0.

Furthermore i think we can close this topic as resolved... ^^

View the most recent posts on the forum