Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[SOLVED] nvidia driver / linux header issue - black screen after each update...

Started by wolfomat, March 22, 2019, 12:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfomat

Hello there,

every 6 years i am trying to switch from windows to linux. this time it's finally final decision \o/
There are some basics of linux i understand, configuration ect.... but there's one thing which bugs me alot:

Each time i update sparky linux (coming from sparky gameover edition sparky-5.0.1-amd64), i get a black screen.
this is when sparky updates from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2 and so forth.
everytime the update runs, after a restart i need to do following:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-(uname -r) which installs the approriate linux headers.
after this i need to re-install the propritary nvidia driver, when done, every (no black screen) works fine.

next time for version 5.0.4 (currently it is 5.0.3) i try to simple install the linux headers and try a restart, as the nvidia driver has been installed to upgrade itself when a new linux header is available(not tested yet).

but still, can some explain how to avoid this, or how to automatically perform this one?
i dont want to black screen after each update, manually download the latest linux headers and then re-install the nvidia drivers.
any suggestions or hints on that?

lami07

Hello woflomat. Welcome to our community.
Quoteevery 6 years i am trying to switch from windows to linux. this time it's finally final decision
Very good choice my fellow Sparker.

I'm sorry to read that Linux and Nvidia give you trouble. Unfortunately I don't poses PC with Nvidia GPU thus can't provide you with valid information. I can only give you two tips.

1) if you would like to automatically install new Sparky kernel with proper headers , when become available you should install two dummy packages linux-image-sparky-amd64 and linux-headers-sparky-amd64.  Those are empty packages with just one job - to pull newest sparky kernel and headers when installed or updated.

2) Sparkylinux community has two major hubs. One is this forum, other is our group on Facebook. If you won't get help here you can join our Facebook group and seek assistance there.

There is also IRC channel if you would like to chat.
Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

wolfomat

damn i god a typo in my name :D well, whatever :D

i've installed both now and give it a try.... when the 5.0.4 version is ready, i will provide feedback here.

yeah cool, i may join the irc chan later ;)
tthanks for the info,hope it will help ;)

lami07

Quote from: forum rulesWhen an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the thread
Want to chat? Join #sparkylinux at [url="//irc.freenode.net"]irc.freenode.net[/url]

wolfomat

would be wolfomat :)

and yes, today the 5.0.4 version of sparky was updated and it worked - thanks!

lami07

Your nickname has been changed but you will still need to log in using old nickname.

It seems your main problem has been resolved thus I would like you to edit your first post in this thread and add [SOLVED] to the subject, so I could lock this topic.

View the most recent posts on the forum