Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Lost wifi after software update for two days

Started by bushy, November 20, 2018, 03:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushy

Installed Sparkylinux three days ago and everything worked well.  After a software update I no longer had wifi.  Hovering over the wifi icon I see the message that the device isn't ready.  I rebooted several times without any success. I eliminated a hardware failure by booting a different live distro proving wifi works.

The laptop is a lenovo 110S.
This morning wifi returned.  Computer had been off since the last failed wifi incident.  Is there anything I can / should do if it fails again?

paxmark1

1. Sparky 4 or 5??   You are not giving us decent info.  Look up how to do that, add "lspci" to your search.  Or install and learn how to use inxi.  "inxi -N' 

Or just lurk on #debian or #debian-next and see the difference in real time of how people with experience give info and how newer people are told, post this, that and that.  And then post this, that and that here in Sparky as a reply to your original post.  Do not post on #debian or #debian-next.  They request only a pure debian install and yours is not.  Honour their request.

Quote[5] Details! Details! Details!

Include the version and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit) of Linux Mint.
    List any relevant hardware or software specifications. 'inxi' is a useful terminal command for listing this. Use inxi -h for help. Generally it suffices to type the following in terminal and include the output in your post -> inxi -Fxz
    List what Display Environment you are using if relevant (Cinnamon, KDE, XFCE, MATE, etc).
    If you have output errors, list them in their entirety.
    When posting output of commands use the "Code" tags if it is more than 2 or 3 lines long - this makes it more readable
    If your Linux Mint installation isn't in English, prefix any commands that you want to share output of with LC_ALL=C. That forces output to be English. For example instead of running the command "make", you'd run the command "LC_ALL=C make".
From LinuxMint but you will see similar all over elsewhere.

2.  Based on the series of events you describe - the ancient headache of software versus hardware is posible.  Ask yourself, how old is my computer, how much do I trust the power supply, when was the last time I "dusted" the inside.  Am I seeing other intermittent problems. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

bushy

@paxmark1
As you suggested I have provided all the following information:

Laptop= Lenovo 100S Mfg Date:April 2010
CPU: Fanless Dual Core Intel Celeron N3060
Mem: 2g
OS=Sparky 5
Arch: x86_64
Window Mgr: Openbox
Desktop Environment: LXQt Ver:0.13.0

Output of inxi -N:
Device-1: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Plus Bluetooth driver: iwlwifi

Output of lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 35)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 35)

00:0b.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Power Management Controller (rev 35)

00:12.0 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SD Controller (rev 35)

00:13.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SATA Controller (rev 35)

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller (rev 35)

00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 35)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller (rev 35)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #1 (rev 35)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #2 (rev 35)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #3 (rev 35)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU (rev 35)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx SMBus Controller (rev 35)

02:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 Plus Bluetooth (rev 99)

paxmark1

Of 4 Sparky5's (2 on vms and a several year old LXQT on a hard drive in an atom netbook and a new Mate/I3 on an SDCH card on the same atom - I saw network cease when in I3 after you posted.  No luck with ifup. No luck with dpkg --configure -a.  I rebooted into Mate and network was back up. I reboted into I3 de and network was still back up.  So it looks like there was something that can shut down network after an upgrade.  And a reboot fixes. 

What it was, I  do not know.  Thanks for posting the details. No one has posted about it in Siduction (unless it was in German and I missed).  It might just be one of life's little mysteries.
peace out.
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

bushy

This is odd, so after many reboots it finally came up.  Then there was an another small update and it went down again.  Several more reboots and it came back.  Oh well, as long as it comes back there's nothing to do.

TheFalcon

Hi,

something like this happened to me some time ago now. What fixed it for me was the complete removal of all wifi connections via the right click on the NetworkManager tray icon. You select 'edit connections' from the menu and simply delete the existing connections then go through the process of wifi hotspot connection to your desired modem/router. The files you edit actually live in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections so you could simply bypass the gui removal and simply delete (via sudo of course) the files in that directory, naturally backing up any files you intend to remove.

Worked for me, so hopefully it will rid you of the annoyance of continual reboot which so NOT Linux. Good luck and happy sparkying. ;D
Regards,
    TheFalcon.

paxmark1

Not all DE's use network-manager.   LXQT when set up in default LXQT manner means you do not have network-manger.

Recommended by LXQT' devs  AlfG Tsuan, Pcman etc. etc. is the Intel sponsored (open source in C i believe)  "connman" with "connmanctl" curses cli tool and if wanted the QT5 gui "cmst".
     I am not sure if connmanctl is the default for LXQT in sparky.  Connman is a total  clean write from scratch several years ago with systemd and QT5 in mind. 

View the most recent posts on the forum