Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Samba not working ?

Started by vortex, January 02, 2018, 06:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortex

Hello all !
First of all Happy Newyear to all you you !

I have a question about the latest Sparky Mate, I installed it twice the last days, and both did not see any of the other pc here on the home network ( samba server also on a Debian machine) all other distro's here installed on the same machine have no problem connecting to the other pc's on the network...
The firewall is off and the pc is connected trough lan
Did i miss something here ?

Thanks already !

seppalta

Samba can be tricky.  Have you got both "samba" and "samba-common" installed?  See http://lxlinux.com/samba.html for more details.  Personally I prefer networking through my file browser.  See "Pcmanfm as an FTP Transporter"  in http://lxlinux.com/#2.

vortex

Hello Seppalta,
Thanks for the fast reply, i checked the ones you mentioned, they where not installed, after installing them and rebooting, still nothing on the network to see, internet works fine, and as mentioned another Debian 9 based distro works well on this machine.

I thought it would be the Sparky-gufw , but this one can't be uninstalled without deleting the mate-desktop, also weird no ?

Thanks anyway    :)

( edited for typo )

vortex

Hello,

I have a little update on my "problem " here, i tried typing  "smbtree" in the terminal and there i saw all the pc's and printer what is on my local network... but trough caja and network it does not show up ....

anyone please ?

thanks again already

Wombat

Try putting the ip address of the pc you are on in the file manager  at smb:____  found by the terminal command  /sbin/ifconfig  or by accessing the router through a browser. Try your own PC for samba shares before moving on to others.

Dolphin hasn't been showing samba shares directly for a few months unless through this method. So was PCmanfm untill just now ....must have changed through a recent update. The bookmarks in Nautilus is a good way of saving all the ips of the network pc's.

....make sure etc/samba/samba.config is right ..... the same workgroup name on all the pc's....the correct paths etc....  run testparm in terminal -my home entry looks like this-

[home]
        comment = Home Directories
        guest ok = Yes
        path = /home/ringo
        read only = No

....use the gui- users, groups and passwords from aptus extra to add users to smb, samba or sambashare groups or any other you can think of

....often nothing works untill all the pc's are restarted a few times...

VLC is really good for watching movies accross your mixed network even with android devices....not sure if it can overcome incomplete smb setups though.

vortex

@ wombat,
Thanks i ,tried all of what you sugested, restarted it several times, even gave in the ip from the samba server here, did not find anything...feels like a hidden firewall..its of i am sure,  only the command  smbtree shows it all, what is happening with Debian..
Thanks guys i am gonna leave it with that and move on, if Debian wants to play difficult , fine let those programmers continu to snif glue or something haha joke !

cheers

Capitain_Jack

Quote from: vortex on January 03, 2018, 10:21:26 AM
@ wombat,
Thanks i ,tried all of what you sugested, restarted it several times, even gave in the ip from the samba server here, did not find anything...feels like a hidden firewall..its of i am sure,  only the command  smbtree shows it all, what is happening with Debian..
Thanks guys i am gonna leave it with that and move on, if Debian wants to play difficult , fine let those programmers continu to snif glue or something haha joke !

cheers

Do you manage to "ping" those machines? If ping do not respond, something else can be happening.

One thing occured me about the firewall, take a look here:
http://troy.jdmz.net/samba/fw/

And also here:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2310138
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein

Bill Statler

Quote from: vortex on January 03, 2018, 12:57:26 AM
...i tried typing  "smbtree" in the terminal and there i saw all the pc's and printer what is on my local network... but trough caja and network it does not show up ....

I just had the same problem here.  This fixed it for me.

Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and add this one line anywhere in the [global] section:

client max protocol = NT1

And then reboot.

Why does this work?  I only have a dim understanding.  It depends on the server you're connecting to.  Some servers will refuse to provide a workgroup listing unless you use the older NT1 protocol (also called SMB1) instead of the default SMB3.  Without a workgroup listing, the file manager gets stuck.  This trick limits your Samba client to NT1 or older protocols, and the file manager is happy.

View the most recent posts on the forum