Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Netbooks Acting Stangely With SparkyLinux

Started by lhb1142, October 15, 2018, 09:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lhb1142

I own two netbooks: an Asus EeePC 1000 purchased in 2009 and a ZaReason Teo purchased in 2010. Both still function perfectly; even their batteries are good.

I wanted to install a rolling release on both of these so I tried SparkyLinux. The installation went smoothly and, when booted fully, both netbooks work.

Both of these computers have Intel Atom processors, the ZaReason having a somewhat later version than the Asus. (The ZaaReason was modified by the factory; its original 160 GB hard drive was replaced with a 60 GB SSD.)

But, with SparkyLinux installed, each one has a separate, different, and annoying problem.

With the Asus EeePC 1000, the tap function on the trackpad does not work. There is no "button" anywhere to activate the tap function (as there is on most other distros). Does anyone else own this model and has anyone overcome this problem? In all other respects, the computer works perfectly with SparkyLinux. I just have to use the left button for left clicking. But I'd rather use the tap-to-click function. (I have never had this problem with any other distro I have used on this computer.)

The ZaReason Teo has a different problem. When it's booted up, everything works perfectly with SparkyLinux. The problem is that it takes between 6 and 7 minutes to actually boot up. At first, the boot process appears to be going normally. But then, after the SparkyLinux splash screen is displayed and for at least the next 5½ minutes (sometimes a bit longer), the screen remains blank and nothing seems to be happening until, after that inordinate length of time passes, the cursor arrow appears and the desktop finally loads. After that, everything works. Does anyone have a solution to this particular problem? (As with the Asus, I have never had this problem with any other distro I have used on this computer.)

I hope that one or more people who have had similar problems can help me because, otherwise, I really like SparkyLinux.

Thank you.

paxmark1

Sparky 5? ,  because it is rolling.  Which DE. 

My asus eee 900a is gathering dust, keyboard is flaky as is touchpad. Bought 2008.  #! then sparky on it.  the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics  Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server  could be problematical - would function less well after some upgrades.  However 2 plus years back with the changeover to systemd and xserver-xorg-input-libinput  and libinput10 I did not have problems on asus eee 900a until mechanical problems started and no problems with touchpad on Acer Aspire.

Work - various refurbed notebooks all with LinuxMint 17 - non systemd kernel 3.something and touchpads and trackpads very wonky, xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.  In Mate there is a applet I used to disable trackpad and touchpad and use mouse, for you maybe disabling the touchpad via an applet in your DE (whatever it is) .  You could play around with whatever applet or DE preferences you have and see if that helps.  Hopefully others will give more solid answers. 

If it is specific to your input devices on that computer, you can always search on the Debian forums, as all the programs involved (libinput10, etc.) in Sparky come from Debian.  However asking the question on the Debian Forum for a problem on a Sparky install is not encouraged, as Sparky is a variant. 

For the slow starting ZaReason I would first look at "systemd-analyze blame" and "sudo journalctl -b -1" Sometimes the order of bootup gets out of step or services that you do not need clash.  the "-b -1" flags are to start at the boot and to view logs of your last boot and shut down.  To view you r present logs the flags would be "-b -0" for "sudo journalctl"

First few lines for me for systemd-analyze blame (done in terminal) 

paxmark@raunes:~/tmp/Youtube$ systemd-analyze blame
          6.067s connman-wait-online.service
          5.211s lvm2-monitor.service
          4.319s libvirtd.service
          4.105s dev-mapper-raunes\x2d\x2dvg\x2droot.device
          3.130s apparmor.service
          2.648s systemd-journal-flush.service
          2.573s keyboard-setup.service
          2.210s systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-fa07f78d\x2d0380\x2d431b\x2d95dc\x2d22ad4aa603da.service

"man systemd-analyze"  and "man journalctl" will give you help on those commands.  You can use grep and tail for journalctl to search easier - smarter.  Sometimes the hang up is getting the ethernet and wifi up smoothly. 

peace out.

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum