Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Linux mostly newbie

Started by Silverfire, August 28, 2018, 02:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverfire

Hello all,

I went looking for a way to build a system for a friend that did not have M$'s grubby fingers in her data and run World of Warcraft for her.  SparkyLinux was recommended as a great platform for running games so I've installed it on an AMD 64 platform i5 system for her.  It's running flawlessly so far and I may install it on an older laptop of my own to work with as well.

However I may need your help getting WoW to install.  Thanks Sparkers.

I may also try using Inkscape or Gimp to create bead patterns for my bead loom work.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is not.

paxmark1

Older laptop.  If 2 gb or less of memory, there is probably no performance loss in going to 32 bit. 

Wine and wines  32 bit binaries  versus 64 bit binaries were a real pain in the past.  I do not know the present.  Hopefully the wine enthusiasts here will post about the present state of 32 versus  64 bit co-existence.  It is supposed to have improved greatly in the last few years.

I have not used inkscape.  Gimp does have a bit of a learning curve, less if you are adept with photoshop.    With wine you can use some of the older Corel image manipulation, either W#$  or (or possbily their linux but probably not).  Less learning curve. 

The other factor is - are you on Sparky5 or Sparky4.  If you are new, 4 has less hiccups, it is stable.  You can easily convert to 5 later - possibly when Buster (Debian Testing which Sparky 5 uses as a base) enters the "freeze" process.  That might happen in a few months. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

Silverfire

Thanks for the reply.  :)

I have posted the errors I'm getting from Winetricks as it does not want to play nicely with 32-bit programs at all.  I do have the GameOver edition installed on the main system.

The laptop has 6 mbs of memory so I do not think I will have a problem with it. 
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is not.

View the most recent posts on the forum