Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Shutdown - and Printers installation. Re-installation problems...

Started by tenfoot, August 07, 2018, 11:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenfoot

I have just completed a re-installation of Sparky v5.3 Mate.  All went well other than the two problems described below.

.(a) When I close down the computer an error messages appears "A program is still running: at-spi-bus launcher", with one of the options to Reboot anyway.  Whether I do that or kill the Process through System Monitor, the computer shuts down and a subsequent Boot appears to present no problem.

Is anyone able to advise me what is causing the problem, please? I have done a complete re-install of all the Mate components.

(b)  I cannot install my Brother MFC-J5730DW printer as clicking on Print Settings in the Menu does nothing.

This is very strange and unexpected, as previously Sparky v5.3 recognised and configured the printer immediately.

Is anyone able to advise what I can do to resolve the problem, please?  Note: The appropriate printer drivers have been installed and are in /etc/op/Brother
Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails.

pavroo

a) did you try to google it? there are a few answers, for example:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=273640

b) what does the command do? (in a terminal emulator):
system-config-printer
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

tenfoot

Quote from: pavroo on August 08, 2018, 01:08:11 AM
a) did you try to google it? there are a few answers, for example:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=273640

I bow my head in shame :-[  I just didn't think to search for the problem.  Please accept my apology.

These are the commands I entered:
zed@zed-pc:~$ sudo -s
[sudo] password for zed:
root@zed-pc:/home/zed# cd /usr/lib/at-spi2-core
root@zed-pc:/usr/lib/at-spi2-core# pluma at-spi2-registryd

and then hit Enter and received an error message "Could not open /usr/lib/at-spi2-core# pluma at-spi2-registryd...."  did not know the character encoding.  However, clicking on open did open the file but a right click did not bring up a menu allowing me to change the Permission.

Obviously I am not entering the correct commands or doing something extremely silly.

Any further suggestions would be very much appreciated..

I see from the postings in the Forum referred to that the OP was using Linux Mint  Cinnamon, which is based on Gnome3 and the problem was solved with a Cinnamon update.

Quoteb) what does the command do? (in a terminal emulator):
system-config-printer

Here is the result of the command you suggested:

zed@zed-pc:~$ system-config-printer
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 84, in <module>
    import jobviewer
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/jobviewer.py", line 76, in <module>
    NETWORK_PASSWORD = Secret.Schema.new("org.system.config.printer.store", Secret.SchemaFlags.NONE,
NameError: name 'Secret' is not defined

This led me to search the net for a possible solution and it was suggested  that the installation of gir1.2-secret-1.  could be a solution.  I did this and all is well..  Thank you for  pointing me in the right direction.

Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails.

View the most recent posts on the forum