Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

password login disappeared

Started by a_man_without_any_clue, July 04, 2018, 02:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_man_without_any_clue

hi all,

I just installed Sparky 5.4 Home edition with LXqt for my wife's old Toshiba laptop.

While it runs smooth and perfectly, when the screensaver kicks in and locks the desktop, the login window to unlock won't accept the password even though the password is correct. So I removed the xscreensaver to disable the screensaver itself, now I have noticed the system doesn't even ask login with password at the start up.
I would like to have password login but I don't know where I can configure about this.

Can anybody help?

pavroo

Hi
Show me your /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file please.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

a_man_without_any_clue

ok, you gave me hint. I found

autologin-user=

had been set. Now I commented out so it asks password now.

I don't know about the screensaver though. How come I couldn't login with correct password?

pavroo

It shouldn't happen, and I don't know an answer for that, sorry.
caps lock been acivated?
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Thomas

I have noticed when my screensaver comes on and the screen locks that I cannot log back in either. I notice the name is capitalized while my actual account name is all lower case. If I hit the switch user icon and then type the name all lower case and my password, it lets me back in.  I am not sure why it shows it with a capital letter on the lockout screen but thinking that may be why it won't authenticate properly.  I am running the Cinnamon Desktop on Sparky 5 Nibiru (x86-64).

Update: I went into Users and Groups and changed the name to all lower case and it still fails to authenticate.

var/log/auth.log - cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper: pam_unix(cinnamon-screensaver:auth): auth could not identify password for [thomas]

Maybe this has something to do with it. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=466741 it is old but my /etc/shadow is set to -rw-r----- root root and not -rw-r----- root shadow

I may test in the morning and see if it works changing permissions if I don't hear anything back in the forums.

Update: Changing permissions on the /etc/shadow to -rw-r----- root shadow did indeed allow me to log in through the lock screen. Hopefully changing it won't cause new issues.

rlndggr

I had the same problem: Unlock from xscreensaver didn't work ('authentication failed') on Sparky 5.4 (MinimalGUI - openbox)

The solution to change the group worked for me too:
sudo chown root:shadow /etc/shadow

@Thomas: Thanks for the tip!

View the most recent posts on the forum