Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

remove some components

Started by penguin, December 24, 2017, 11:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

Hi parvo.

These days I installed Sparky Linux stable xfce 32 bit. I decided to have 32bit versions on my old machines and 64bit version on new machines.
I have configured my 64 bit times ago.
I have a question. When I am trying to remove some packages (for example:plymouth)  by Synaptic, Sparky ask me to remove also sparky-core, sparky-core-x86,sparky-desktop-xfce, sparky-plymouth. Similar problem happens when I want to remove locker and substitute with i3locker and xautolock.
How to remove a package without removal others?

Capitain_Jack

Quote from: penguin on December 24, 2017, 11:57:51 AMI decided to have 32bit versions on my old machines and 64bit version on new machines.
Deppending on the processor, it's better to run 64 bit, specially if it's intel.
Quote...processors that support the 64-bit instruction set can also run code for the 32-bit instruction set, or through software emulation, or by the actual implementation of a 32-bit processor core within the 64-bit processor...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing

Quote from: penguin on December 24, 2017, 11:57:51 AM...(for example:plymouth) ...ask me to remove also sparky-core, sparky-core-x86,sparky-desktop-xfce, sparky-plymouth. Similar problem happens when I want to remove locker and substitute with i3locker and xautolock.
How to remove a package without removal others?

Some packages are "required" to the Debian customization that Sparky have, this is what make sparky sparky. Plymouth, the package you mentioned, is related to sparky-plymouth, which is the boot theme logo you see spinning on boot time, so removing this package will remove sparky-plymoth, that than will remove sparky-core, than all the others that depend on sparky core have also to be removed.

If you wish to use sparky software, but not customization, you can start with a Debian non-free install of your choice (stable/testing/unstable, 32bit or 64bit) and than add Sparky repository to install specific Sparky software without heaving all those packages.
Here a link on how to add the Sparky repositories to Debian: (if you're keeping at stable, you must add stable and testing repos, and the priority file)
https://sparkylinux.org/wiki/doku.php/repository
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein

pavroo

QuoteI have a question. When I am trying to remove some packages (for example:plymouth)  by Synaptic, Sparky ask me to remove also sparky-core, sparky-core-x86,sparky-desktop-xfce, sparky-plymouth.
Dependency hell.
All sparky spins have sparky-core meta package preinstalled which install all needed sparky core related packages.
If you would like to remove just plymouth, you have to remove sparky-core, and then autoremove some sparky tools, but can be installed back after (without sparky-core meta). Just save names of packages to be removed to make sure you know what should be installed back after.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

View the most recent posts on the forum