Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Keyboard shortcuts...

Started by tenfoot, August 01, 2017, 04:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenfoot

Sparky v 5.0 - all  updates applied.

Administrators: If this is posted to the wrong place, please move to appropriate spot.

The Windows Key (Mode4) is the one I use for all my keyboard shortuts. It has never failed me on both laptop and desktop aince I started using it several years ago, until LM 18.2:-(

I installed Sparky Mate on my desktop some time ago but this problem has been with me from the start both on Sparky and on the other distribution I have installed - LinuxMint.

From experiments I have carried out, I find that:

Using the Mode4 key as modifier:

(a) Have to have a window open to get keyboard short cut to work.

(b) If a create a folder, leave it empty of files, and click so that it rolls up and only the title bar is showing, all keyboard shortcuts work as expected.

Using the Alt or Ctrl key as modifier

(a) All shortcut keys work as expected.

Is anyone able to tell me why the Mode4 key should be a problem, please?

I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't work at all and would accept that it doesn't work on the two keyboards I have used on the desktop and the laptop keyboard.  It irks me, though, that if I have an untitled folder open but showing only a title bar, it works flawlessly.

I first noticed this problem when I upgraded from Linux Mint v18.1 to 18.2 and thought it was a Mint problem but now I am using Sparky as well as Mint it seems that that is not true and it may be a Mate problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated and a solution to the problem would have me jumping with joy ;D
Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails.

she_dyed

While configuring the shortcut, there is another field that determines where the binding is effective--you can refer to this as the context (or container as I have seen on my window manager) and perhaps the default container in your particular issue is "window" even if *that* window happens to be rolled up or shaded. If you switch this to "any" or "desktop" or something similar, then maybe that Mode4 key will work as you expect. MATE is not my window manager but the window managers have a few things in common. Give it a shot

tenfoot

Quote from: she_dyed on August 01, 2017, 09:59:53 PM
While configuring the shortcut, there is another field that determines where the binding is effective--you can refer to this as the context (or container as I have seen on my window manager) and perhaps the default container in your particular issue is "window" even if *that* window happens to be rolled up or shaded. If you switch this to "any" or "desktop" or something similar, then maybe that Mode4 key will work as you expect. MATE is not my window manager but the window managers have a few things in common. Give it a shot

Thank you for your prompt reply.  It is very much appreciated.

The suggestions you make are way beyond my understanding.  I just don't have a clue how to do what you suggest.  Please may I have some simple instructions?

she_dyed

I just checked some MATE screens, and even if I explained or clarified it better, it would be pointless; there is NO place to specify the zone where the shortcut should work. On my window manager, which has more provisions for such behavior, there is a place for it. And my search yielded an example with Mode4 in it too. It was only natural for me, as I have avoided purchasing any keyboard with that key; my thinkpads did not have that key, either.

tenfoot

Thanks for your reply and my apologies for the late response.  Somehow, your reply did not show up when I requested New Messages to be displayed :(

Until I, or someone brainier than I, figures out a solution, I'll continue to open a blank document to achieve the successful appication of my mode4+? shortucts.

View the most recent posts on the forum