Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Update-Notifier?

Started by LawVampRead, June 15, 2017, 03:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LawVampRead

So, I installed SparkyLinux/Mate in my gf's laptop and the experience has been more than satisfactory so far.

It actually got very useful tools that I understand are the envy of other distros, like for example Sparky APTus. But I can't stop but feeling that all this falls apart without the implementation of an update-notifier...

I'm positive that this feature would boots the usability for new/medium users.

Seriously, I would recommend this distro to far more people if this feature could be available.

pavroo

It's good point, I was thinking about that too, but...
As Sparky is based on Debian testing, updates come from Debian every single day...
You do not be notified about ubdates, just you can upgrade your system daily.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

tenfoot

Although I feel an update notifier would be nice - my other distro of choice is Linux Mint which has one  -I agree with pavroo that a daily update meets the case.  In fact, the first thing I do of a morning is to update my system. Don't even have to think about it, it is automatic :)
Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails.

LawVampRead

Quote from: pavroo on June 15, 2017, 09:31:03 PM
It's good point, I was thinking about that too, but...
As Sparky is based on Debian testing, updates come from Debian every single day...
You do not be notified about ubdates, just you can upgrade your system daily.

Quote from: tenfoot on June 15, 2017, 10:32:13 PM
Although I feel an update notifier would be nice - my other distro of choice is Linux Mint which has one  -I agree with pavroo that a daily update meets the case.  In fact, the first thing I do of a morning is to update my system. Don't even have to think about it, it is automatic :)

Yes, I know updates are practically diary for Debian testing.

It is not much a matter of having the latest version of whatever packets you may have installed, but rather being informed for those more critical security patches that could be available at certain moments for your system

This can be easy neglected in the current state by - as pointed in my post: new/medium users - due to the lack of notifications.

and secondly:

The implementation doesn't have to be like something popping up right under your nose every time the system needs an update/upgrade. An icon placed in your system tray that changes colour or form (similar to Linux Mint/Manjaro...) should suffice.

Again, I think this could help greatly to allure less experienced users.

pavroo

I was thinking about that last night, and...
If it is not requried for non newbies for sure, and for testing based os, but it could be helpful for new users and upcoming sparky based on Debian stable, which doesn't get updates so offen as testing one.

pavroo

It's done, so if you'd like to test it, simply install it and reboot:
https://sparkylinux.org/update-checker-notifier/

LawVampRead

Quote from: pavroo on June 18, 2017, 08:31:51 PM
It's done, so if you'd like to test it, simply install it and reboot:
https://sparkylinux.org/update-checker-notifier/

Great Job!

I installed an already had the prompt the very next day.  :)

View the most recent posts on the forum