Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Aptus gnome-shell install problem

Started by piker, May 18, 2017, 04:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Installing Sparkylinux minimumGUI went without a hitch on my new laptop! Great work you guys, it really is the best distro out there.

I had a slight problem installing Gnome-Shell, through Aptus. It seems to have gotten to the end of the install process and I get this info box:
"Something is wrong - Can NOT find the new desktop files so the user setting will NOT be copied to your home directory. Exiting....".
It seems to have installed Gnome-shell ok, but just wondering what may have happened?

pavroo

Could be two separated problems:
1. Your package list in not up to date, so run:
sudo apt update
then try to install your desktop again.
2. If your package list is up to date, there could be a problem with missing dependencies, so try to install it in a text console:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install sparky-desktop-gnome-shell

If it will fail, show me the issue lines from your terminal.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

piker

Thanks pavroo. I did end up getting gnome working, but changed to sparky-xfce instead after a few more problems with gnome specifically. Xfce is going nicely but I notice that it is running kernel 4.8.0-1. This new laptop has an Intel Kaby Lake processor, would the sparky kernel better support that do you think?
Just thought i'd say as well that with both sparky installs the "sparky system upgrade" process continually does an apt-get update and then asks confirmation to install. The only way I could get an update successfully was manually "apt-get upgrade".

pavroo

The present iso images feature older version of the upgrade tool, which can not handle with all upgrade, specially with downgrading or so.
The best way is upgrading the 'sparky-aptus-upgrade' as the first job, then run it normally.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

View the most recent posts on the forum