Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Issues with Live USB booting GameOver v4.5

Started by LoganFM, April 05, 2017, 09:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoganFM

Dear all,

Besides my years of knowledge in IT (on Microsoft oriented environments), I couldn't think straight to solve this issue. So I'm here in hope to get help and acquire more knowledge about linux.

Very well. From some weeks ago I've started running (read "messing with" :P) live linux distros on some flash drives in order to learn and take advantage about many tools and easier ways that linux can provide me as a live USB system when we are talking about "solving day to day IT issues".

After getting up with Porteus, Remix-OS and Puppy, my next target was Sparky. Visiting the download site I saw only "rolling" options and so I decided for the most interesting one for a gamer the "GameOver" edition.

Since I didn't had issues with Universal USB Installer before, I gave it a try on Sparky GO for nothing. Same with UNetBootin, YUMI and Win32 Disk Imager (even RemixOS custom installer). Every single one presented the "Fat-FS error IO charset ASCII not found. Cant mount live filesystem" error with the bottom line being about it couldn't mount sdb1 (my flash drive AFAIK).

I was reading about using DD and Rufus to do the trick, but didnt tried any yet. Instead, I was hopping to get better clues here with you.

My specs:
ACER ASPIRE 5516
Athlon TF-20
Radeon X1200
2GB RAM DDR2
HDD Hitachi 250Gb 5400 RPM
USB Ports 2.0

Even tried to run on a better machine, a Desktop with a FX 4170, USB Ports from 2 to 3.0, 16Gb RAM DDR3 and a GTX 560 without sucess. Im not sure if my friend did, but he told me that he tried the i586 ISO on his Core i3 with a GT 210 and 4Gb RAM also without success.

Thanks in advance and kind regards!

Logan

Update

After trying RUFUS with ISO mode, the software offered the usage of DD mode since the ISO was prepared to work with it. Then, selecting DD on RUFUS solved the issue. Live Sparky on USB flash fully functional now!

Thanks!

paxmark1

From https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#record-windows
section   
QuoteHow do I write an ISO image under Windows?

This might be a little problem on older versions of Windows, as many Windows image-burning programs use their own formats for CD images. To burn the .iso images you will most likely have to use a "special" menu. Look for options like "ISO9660 file", "Raw ISO image" or "2048 bytes/sector".

also https://sparkylinux.org/wiki/doku.php/burn_iso

If you do have access to a linux machine, "dd" can be daunting.   I used it for years - search vastone iso usb   -- but   now I have moved to using "cp" to write to usb's, it is much simpler. 

But first  - from VastOne
QuoteDetermine what device your USB is.  With your USB plugged in run:

sudo ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/*usb*

and then using the info from that to copy onto the proper /dev

# cp debian.iso /dev/sdX
# sync

where /dev/sdx is the location of the usb.   

peace out, profit. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

lettuce prey

Quote from: LoganFM on April 05, 2017, 09:16:19 AM
Dear all,

Besides my years of knowledge in IT (on Microsoft oriented environments), I couldn't think straight to solve this issue. So I'm here in hope to get help and acquire more knowledge about linux.

Very well. From some weeks ago I've started running (read "messing with" :P) live linux distros on some flash drives in order to learn and take advantage about many tools and easier ways that linux can provide me as a live USB system when we are talking about "solving day to day IT issues".

After getting up with Porteus, Remix-OS and Puppy, my next target was Sparky. Visiting the download site I saw only "rolling" options and so I decided for the most interesting one for a gamer the "GameOver" edition.

Since I didn't had issues with Universal USB Installer before, I gave it a try on Sparky GO for nothing. Same with UNetBootin, YUMI and Win32 Disk Imager (even RemixOS custom installer). Every single one presented the "Fat-FS error IO charset ASCII not found. Cant mount live filesystem" error with the bottom line being about it couldn't mount sdb1 (my flash drive AFAIK).

I was reading about using DD and Rufus to do the trick, but didnt tried any yet. Instead, I was hopping to get better clues here with you.

My specs:
ACER ASPIRE 5516
Athlon TF-20
Radeon X1200
2GB RAM DDR2
HDD Hitachi 250Gb 5400 RPM
USB Ports 2.0

Even tried to run on a better machine, a Desktop with a FX 4170, USB Ports from 2 to 3.0, 16Gb RAM DDR3 and a GTX 560 without sucess. Im not sure if my friend did, but he told me that he tried the i586 ISO on his Core i3 with a GT 210 and 4Gb RAM also without success.

Thanks in advance and kind regards!

Logan

Update

After trying RUFUS with ISO mode, the software offered the usage of DD mode since the ISO was prepared to work with it. Then, selecting DD on RUFUS solved the issue. Live Sparky on USB flash fully functional now!

Thanks!

i'm glad to see another way to fix this.
my fix was to burn the iso to a dvd instead of the usb drive.
i don't have the slightest idea why this made a difference, but right now i'm running sparky, my new install as a dual boot with windows ten as the other boot choice.

View the most recent posts on the forum