Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

manual installation suggestion Assigning (swap memory )to be specific

Started by dass, March 26, 2017, 04:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dass

A detail, that I notice and want to make known to those who do the manual installation Assigning SWAP MEMORY . i have 3 netbook and  had installed  sparky linux KDE manually specifying Swap memory, in(#1) 1 gig (low) in #2 - 2  gig (recommended) and in the (#3) third 4gigabytes SWAP memory. Testing  the performance in which allocates 4 gigabytes of SWAP. I notice more speed and smooth running the system,  In some way that I ignore technically, improves the speed and smoothness . Therefore assigning 4 gigs of SWAP amount improves the performance and speed. Greetings.

seppalta

Quote from: dass on March 26, 2017, 04:39:52 AM
Therefore assigning 4 gigs of SWAP amount improves the performance and speed. Greetings.
I do not think it is quite that simple.  Processes work by using memory, swap and the regular hard drive storage.  Memory is fastest, swap is second and hard drive is slowest.  Most Linux systems appear to be defaulted to use only memory until 40% of the memory is in use, then they switch to both memory and swap.  To see what your system does:
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
The number that appears is called swappiness and is the percent of memory remaining when the computer starts to use swap.  Making swappiness small will mean you are using  the faster memory for running processes longer before switching in the slower swap.

If you want to change swappiness to speed up your computer for just the current sessions (reverts back to default with a reboot), put a small number like 5 or 10 in for n and run the following command in terminal:
sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=n .

View the most recent posts on the forum