Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Becomes "Read-only system" occasionally on boot.

Started by AURAequine, March 10, 2017, 06:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AURAequine

As this is more of an issue rather than a "newbie question" I decided to post this here. This has happened twice so far, and I'm
unsure if this is a problem that comes standard with Sparky, or whether it was after my nvidia-driver metapackage installation.

Occasionally on startup the system looks and responds as normal on start up, but on logging in you notice a variety of problems:
- Cannot mount drives.
- Sometimes the application icons on your panel are gone.
- Running terminal as root bugs out "gksu" and fails to run.
- Cannot run Firefox.
- Cannot edit files or folders.
- Cannot take screenshots.

Attempting to edit anything or mounting drives tells you that the reason it cannot do this operation is because it is a "read-only system"

Is there any reason as to why this problem may be happening? I need to know if there is a way to permanently
force my operating system to stay in it's standard read/write system rather than read only, thanks.

paxmark1

posting the output of "inxi -Gs" would give us info on the card and the temperature of your cpu and gpu

like this
inxi -Gs
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4th Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.5
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A

If inxi not installed, there are other ways to give that info, or run "apt-get install inxi" as root or via sudo to install inxi. 

Also specific info on the versions of the driver you use for your nvidia card. 

Edited - as previously mentioned
apt-cache policy steam
apt-cache policy steam-launcher

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum