Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Your Favorite Desktop Environment?

Started by darko, March 24, 2017, 12:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bardo

Favorite Desktop?

Since several years, i am on GNOME (3.+), and i wouldn't want to go away, as i got used to it and enjoy its usage. Also, it is getting better over the years.

But the current sparky distros don't seem to provide it out-of-the-box, which, in a way, seems to indicate, the devs probably dont have as strong  a hardware at their hands, as i do. :-(

blaze

I seriously doubt that hardware are the cause of not having a GNOME edition.

More probable cause is this: "SparkyLinux is a Debian-based Linux distribution which provides ready to use, out of the box operating system with a set of slightly customized lightweight desktops." From the about on the Sparky homepage.

Let's see if Pavroo chimes in. :)
Unstable OpenBoxer

penguin

xcfe !
I have tried lxde,lxqt,mate and still I come back to it.

Reziac

Since I'm already here... roughly in order:

Trinity
KDE (after beating it with a stick until it agrees to look like itself again)
LXQt
JWM (for Puppy)
Cinnamon (in a pinch)

and way down below "rather stick forks in my eyes", Gnome3.

p-472

slide9595

I know it's not popular, but I enjoy Gnome.

dbarron

I'm weird (and I'm old too), so I remember Enlightenment from day 1, and am enjoying running it again.  Other than that I prefer Gnome or KDE.

manyroads

openbox, dwm & i3wm ~Reg. Linux User #449130

Sergio 1

I recently tried to install KDE and try it on my old machine, but .... nothing happened - from the word ... nothing at all - just the brake system and ... return to LXQt

polard22

dhinds

Quote from: pavroo on March 24, 2017, 01:33:00 PM
Personally, I don't need much from my desktop. No fireworks, no 3D effects, to heavy environments.
It has to work on my old and new machines, so... Openbox.

OB does the job with fewer resources and doesn't get in the way.

(I use the xfce4-panel with it, along with the lightweight panel above).

LXQt is coming along though (and includes OB).

Amelia742

Hi,
I use cinnamon. I like it because it's sleek and polished. It has a Familiar interface and pretty customizable.

Dafont Showbox Adam4adam

manyroads

BSPWM & xfce4/.... but then what do I know?

21grams

MATE / xfce4 .. MATE on sparky (since 4.02 kernel) and still running on the same testing since 2016.

Quote from: manyroads on July 09, 2019, 01:55:00 AM
BSPWM & xfce4/.... but then what do I know?

Quite a bit really - enjoyed your tutorial for antix / xfce which gave me room to try MATE on it.

Had an attempt using that tutorial as a guide to give MATE a go on antix with sparky repos to some degree of success cautiously (yes I noted the non-systemd idea for sparky) but the overhead of no X conky and a few other hidden gems made it patchy but useable. Might look at a respin time permitting as usual.

Still lovin sparky for its crisp and easy use.
21grams >> light in flight

manyroads

Wow, thank you for the kind words @21grams.  I would move to Sparky for a bunch of reasons, but I prefer to remain off of systemd if possible (and that's getting to be difficult). So for now that's type of old guy bias means I will stay with antiX & MX.

View the most recent posts on the forum