Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

which Sparky version

Started by march23, March 23, 2017, 12:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

march23

hows does a newbie now what is the best version for an old netbook..does sparki have a german keyboard as well.. ;)
thank you

paxmark1

lxde, xfce and lxqt all work on intel atoms with 1 GB ram.  Myself I prefer lxqt.  If you want lvm for the disks, do not use the beta calamares installer.

Should be no problem with German, it is based on Debian. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

pavroo

You are right.
Calamares doesn't configure lvm and raid yet, and still has problem with correct configuration on encrypted disk on Debian/Sparky.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

march23

Hi,
what about about wifi will i be directly Work.?
Thank you

paxmark1

Read, install and profit.

Well, no one can predict everything, not even with a diamond crystal ball.  However, one key difference of Sparky is that it comes with the non-free firmware already on it.  Yes, very probably, unless wifi chip is really new and novel.  Still, I always have an ethernet cable handy to plug in during an install.  Please read the Sparky install instructions and the newest Debian manual for Stretch-Testing is being updated about every 3 days for the  new release.  Debian is frozen presently, and that is the most stable time for testing. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

march23

Many thanks  for your  reply. It is actually a old HP netbook, I think  it is  a broadcom  chip for  wifi?
Anyway, now  you got me  really  irritated, I am interested  in Sparky as a new  distribution  on my netbook why doch i have to worry about Debian...as it is frozen because  of stretch....????
Does the Debian present  situation concern  sparky?
Greetings

py-thon

Quote from: march23 on March 26, 2017, 05:36:08 PM
Debian...as it is frozen because  of stretch....????
Does the Debian present  situation concern  sparky?
You got mislead. Debian being frozen means that the testing branch of Debian (which Sparky is based on) currently does not receive serious upgrades or new packages as it is being prepared to become the new stable version. When the new stable version Debian 9 (codenamed Stretch) has been released in few weeks, testing (and thus Sparky) will move on and receive the usual amount of new packages and upgrades again to prepare for Debian 10 (codenamed Buster, supposed to be released in 2019).
Frozen does not mean that it will freeze your system. Quite the opposite: Installing Debian testing while it is frozen means that the risk of encountering bugs is lower than usual.
see:
https://www.debian.org/releases/
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

With respect to the other questions:
I have Sparky Mate on an old Acer netbook with Atom N270 and 1 GB RAM. It works but it is no pleasure to use as every modern browser needs more than 1 GB RAM. You need a lot of patience.
Some Broadcom-chipsets cause trouble and need special attention. You might need a cable-connection or another PC + pendrive or memory card to get the necessary packages onto you system. Just type "linux" and the Broadcom type of your netbook into a search engine and you will find out more.
Tower and Notebook: Sparky (testing) 64bit MATE

march23

Hi,
I am trying live version. unique distri the first that detects my webcam.. :)
Thanks

View the most recent posts on the forum