Main (testing) line - based on Debian testing "Buster':
5.0 - about one month later, after the Stretch become stable
5.1 - August
5.2 - December

To do:
1. Change the 'live-installer' to Calamares
2. No more ideas in this moment, add yours to the discussion

And...
We need a new code name and new artwork (wallpaper, and theme (optional)) for Sparky 5.
The code name should be around the astronomical objects as before.
Place your suggestions below.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

geier22

Hello, I've been using SparkyLinux for over a year (Xfce / Debian Cinnamon (with Sparky Repos) and KDE) (Multiboot).
First, many thanks for this great distribution.  :) :)
My question is:
What happens with the sources.list and the special sparky repos when Stretch becomes stable ?
All URL's are on testing (not "Stretch")
That would mean that I would change after the release of Stretch automatically to Buster.
Is this supported by SparkyLinux?
Or do I have the URL's first switch to Stretch or Stable?

paxmark1

Oort - For the Oort clouds way past Neptune-Pluto  - about 250000 a.u.  Sparky is far out and cool (or would that be kewl now)

Kuiper - for the closer in belt.

Stars  Deneb - a slight verbal inversion of the majority of our sources.   It is the tail of the swan and quite bright.
           Fomalhaut - cause it sounds cool. Is there something fishy about us using a star from Pisces. 
           Denebola - not to be confused with Deneb  - A lion (Leo) of a star. 

These days, living north of a certain country, the astronomer  Giordano Bruno comes to mind.  Tycho Brahe died in 1601 in his bed.  Giordano died in a pryo-crucifixion, his tongue staked to the roof of his mouth in 1600 and hundreds paid gold currency to watch his swan song. He would not recant his beliefs, one being the Copernican belief that the Earth revolves around the sun. 

As is gets hotter, especially in the Arctic, and science gets tossed into the garbage dumpsters (in Canada under Stephen Harper) and scrubbed from computers in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Bruno is a an example to us all and a rallying cry. 

He does have a lunar crater and and asteroid also named after him.  Peace out.
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

pavroo

@geier22
Sparky based on Debian testing never change its repo name, always use "testing".
There is also Sparky "stable" repo already created.

So Sparky based on Debian stable "Stretch" uses Sparky "stable" and "testing" repos.
Sparky Based on Debian testing uses Sparky "testing" repos only.

To make sure that apt will use correct version of Sparky packages, if different versions available in Sparky stable and testing repos (for stable only) - the preferences file manages it. It is provided by 'sparky-apt' package, different for Sparky 'stable' and 'testing'.

Debian's repo of Sparky based on the stable "Stretch" have to point to Debian's "stable" or "stretch" repos.

So you do not have to do anything manually now.
Just keep your installation up to date.

Releasing Sparky 4.6 based on Debian stable Stretch, I will post how to turn yours existing Sparky based on 'testing' Debian into Sparky based on 'stable' Debian.

pavroo

My propose of the 5th Sparky code name is Nibiru.

Nibiru, from ancient Sumerian texts, is a planet that our creators came from and that passes into our Solar System every 3600 years.

blaze

Thanks for the information provided pavroo. Really helpful since I plan to keep a stable Sparky system running as one of my main machines.

I am 100% ok with any of the above mentioned name suggestions.

Will there still be a 32-bit Sparky release in the future? Just asking out of curiosity, since there are several distros that are planning to drop 32-bit. Thank you. :)
Unstable OpenBoxer

pavroo

QuoteWill there still be a 32-bit Sparky release in the future?
It only depends on Debian moves.

blaze

^Ok thanks again pavroo. Then I am safe for Stretch. :) After Stretch I will have replaced my last 32-bit machine. Well that is plan A... and plans have a tendency to change. ;D

Anyway, Debian is quite conservative, and universal, so my guess is that they will probably be one of the last to drop 32-bit. :)
Unstable OpenBoxer

geier22

@ pavroo. Thanks for the answer. Of course I want to keep the testing branch.
I was a bit irritated about this announcement:
Quote from: pavroo on February 05, 2017, 04:35:36 PM

Main (testing) line - based on Debian testing "Buster':
5.0 - about one month later, after the Stretch become stable
5.1 - August
5.2 - December

I was concerned that after the release of Stretch  something "not compatible" could happen through updates in this month.
QuoteMy propose of the 5th Sparky code name is Nibiru.
A nice name for the new testing branch :) :)

pavroo

QuoteI was concerned that after the release of Stretch  something "not compatible" could happen through updates in this month.
You right.
The transfer from testing Stretch to stable Stretch has to be done as soon as possible, before Debian devs move new packages to testing repos. So the new 4.6 iso images have to be created sooner. 

jidan

Quote from: pavroo on February 06, 2017, 06:33:13 PM
QuoteWill there still be a 32-bit Sparky release in the future?
It only depends on Debian moves.
According to debian developers team, the 686 pae version will be the only 32-bit version available for stretch.

pavroo

So I will keep building Sparky's kernel for 686 non-pae as long as I can.

lee

Okay...Hope this doesn't sound Soap Operaish. ;D

A great possible name that I would suggest is Uri meaning, "My Light, My Fire."

I pose this to be of the great strength of what you all have done with Sparky though it's creation.

1. My light: All of you like what you are doing or you wouldn't be here creating Sparky for us all. Hence - "My light (creation)"
2. My fire: I see passion in what you are doing with your various DE's and plans for the future in continuance. Hence - "My Fire (passion)"

All though I haven't really used Sparky much in the past; I like what I see with your new stable release with 4.6.1 XFCE. I think I will stay a while. Thanks. =-)
Linux Counter #595041
My Old Dinosaur of 15 years: Dell OpliPlex 360 Intel Pentium® Dual Core CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz. 4G's Memory. 250G Western Digital HDD

Capitain_Jack

It just occurred me that there is no firewall distro based on Debian avaliable, I would love to see a firewall version based on the sparky minnimal CLI and heaving as most features as possible as opnsource and alikes, but strongly bonded to Debian and Sparky repositories.

Tell me your thoughts...

https://opnsense.org/

Search for Debian at this page above and you'll understand, can be a way into more advanced users to be interested more and more into Sparky great work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_and_firewall_distributions

https://www.untangle.com/  <- The only one is PAID :O OMG!
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein

blaze

Unstable OpenBoxer

View the most recent posts on the forum