Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Can't Access External Partitions

Started by dhinds, January 08, 2017, 03:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhinds

On opening PCManfm on my old installation of Sparky Ultra Openbox on a Lenovo ThinkPad 520 I am impeded access to to all my partitions - both data and those with other distros on them.

The partitions are visible but I am told: "Not authorized to perform operation".

I tried adding the user to other groups, and changing the permissions via pcmanfm as root, but they revert back to root only.

Does this indicate a problem with the fstab?

In any case, what is the best way to correct it?

Using a Sparky Rescue Disk? Editing the fstab? Reinstalling or upgrading to a version still supported?

Thanks in advance for the attention given.

seppalta

There are a couple of things you can try.  First, be sure that udev and udisks2 are installed.  Then, as root, put 10-udisks.pkla into /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/.    10-udisks.pkla is the following text file:   
[Local Users]
Identity=unix-group:*
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.*
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

Let us know if that solves your problem.  If not, then I will post the second thing.

dhinds

Quote from: seppalta on January 08, 2017, 08:34:03 PM
There are a couple of things you can try.  First, be sure that udev and udisks2 are installed.  Then, as root, put 10-udisks.pkla into /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/.    10-udisks.pkla is the following text file:   
[Local Users]
Identity=unix-group:*
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.*
ResultAny=no
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

Let us know if that solves your problem.  If not, then I will post the second thing.

Thanks Seppalta, for the suggestion.

I'll try that on the ThinkPad and get back to you.

dhinds

I did as you suggested.

To start with, there were 5 broken packages, which I fixed with synaptic.

Next I made sure that udev and udisks2 were installed and up to date. (The latter wasn't, although I had previously refreshed, upgraded safely and ungraded).

Now I am told: No object for D-Bus when I select an external (to the system) partition with pcmanfm.

(I also installed udev-discover and on running it got):

/usr/bin/udev-discover:25: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Gtk, Gdk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/udev-discover", line 29, in <module>
    from udevdiscover import DeviceFinder, get_subsystems
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/udevdiscover/__init__.py", line 23, in <module>
    from devicefinder import DeviceFinder, get_subsystems
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/udevdiscover/devicefinder.py", line 26, in <module>
    import gudev
ImportError: could not import gobject (could not find _PyGObject_API object)
root@ltpw520:/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d#

This appears to be a systemd issue.  (My installation was pre-systemd)

I am going to reboot and see what happens.

dhinds

On rebooting (using the recovery option), everything worked.

Good job, Seppalta.

Thanks.

View the most recent posts on the forum