Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

VLC and SMPlayer freezing ??

Started by aleitt, January 07, 2017, 12:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aleitt

Hi all,
I have an older laptop that I have been searching for a distro that will run well, and after trying several I found Sparky LXQt, which is just awesome. Laptop is a HP Pavalion, probably about 6 years old.

I watch a lot of videos at work, and I use VLC mainly. I have never had a problem with it on my PC running straight Debian or my other newer laptop running Arch.

Now every time I try to watch a video, no matter what format, even streaming, it freezes to the point I have to go to htop to kill it. I tried smplayer, which I haven't used much, and same problem. The video will start playing and in less than a minute just freeze.

Could this be a video driver issue ? I was using Bunsen Labs before Sparky and it is also based on Debian and I didn't have this problem.

What am I missing ?

Thanks

paxmark1

Bunsen is stable, Sparky is testing.  smplayer is basically an add on for mpv or mplayer.  Vlc is a whole lot of dependencies in a changing testing environment.  mpv is a complete rewrite of mplayer.  Try running your video in mpv. 

If Vlc is what you want, it should sort itself out in a little while - the freeze is on.  What does the Debian Bug Tracking system say about vlcx and smplayer. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum